Fram High Mileage Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are these the same as the OCOD?

are they okay to use for a short OCI like 3000- 4500?

Anybody know anything about these

Originally Posted By: RegDunlop
Are these the same as the OCOD?

are they okay to use for a short OCI like 3000- 4500?

Anybody know anything about these

Yes OCOD you don't want one of those i have one opened up and that gel is some nasty looking sticky stuff restricted looking filter just a gimmick,after 5,000 miles hardly any of that goo has been dissolved.

if you need a cheap filter for short OC try a napa pro select,car quest red, puro classic, better filters then that scrap.

thanks daman, I didnt even know they added a gel to it

i have a $10 pep boys credit I need to use within a few days and was going to pick up the penn HM and fram HM filter combo for 23 minus my 10 for 13 OCI...but I will pass on it

maybe I'll just use it to buy a M 1 filter and get my oil at wally world

I NEVER add anything to my engine, just engine oil, I dont believe in gel pack additives in an oil filter that sounds crazy

It's nothing more than an OCOD with a little basket of some proprietary miracle glop that's supposed to rejuvenate your oil, or some such malarkey. Don't waste your money.

*EDIT* I see you already figured that out...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: RegDunlop
thanks daman, I didnt even know they added a gel to it

i have a $10 pep boys credit I need to use within a few days and was going to pick up the penn HM and fram HM filter combo for 23 minus my 10 for 13 OCI...but I will pass on it

maybe I'll just use it to buy a M 1 filter and get my oil at wally world

I NEVER add anything to my engine, just engine oil, I dont believe in gel pack additives in an oil filter that sounds crazy

Ahh ok,too bad a good oil mated with a garbage filter.

Saw the PB offer with FHM filter this month a shook my head. Fram finally gave up on the the Double Guard OF, the one with teflon in it. But they are still marketing this gimmick garbage filter with the magic lozenge. And to top it, they shrink wrap it and charge more than the orange can.

Perhaps they would let you swap the FHM filter for a different filter of equal or lesser price. Classic, Proline or even Tough Guard would be better.

This (i.e., oil rejuvenation additives within an oil filter) was tried before - I believe Monroe marketed one in the 70's.

The TG is still a fiber endcap design, but it's similar to many of the 'made for' OEM's like Honda and Subaru. It also has a silicone adbv, which is better than the nitrile on the HMF. I would take it over the HM, or orange can, if they would let you substitute. And no goo.

I'd prefer the P1, but the ones I listed, should be close to the same price as or less than the HMF.

As for the use of the oil extending goo being used back in the 70's, oils have come a long way in that time. I don't want a filter company picking the additives in my oil.

Pick a good oil and a good filter, run reasonable OCI or as dictated by the owners manual. That should work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back