FRAM Extra or Puro Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fram PH7317
Purolator Classic L14610

Im going to be using one of these, so no mention of ocod or tearolator will be allowed please.

Fram is a dollar more (ish), im fine with fiber endcaps, filters 95%, also has more/and bigger (flow/drain?) holes.

Puro is 97.5%, smaller/less holes, metal ends.

My biggest question is from videos ive seen, the fram has the oil go straight through lining up with the threads? (they call it a full flow lube filter on frams 7317 app lookup page.

Videos appear to show puro has only a top hole where threads are? I confused.

Last edited:
I use this exact filter on my Polaris 850xp and recently swamped it so I had to flush it with 6 short oci I bought 3 classics and 4 frams. I cut them all open no pics because of the short interval it would've been pointless but they all looked good no tears in the puros with the short changes I figured so but both filters looked great if the puro QC don't bother you then either one would be great both easy to find and priced about the same. Try them both and cut open see which one u like best.

No Napa around that you could pick up a Wix made Napa Pro Select for probably the same price?

If it weren't for the tearing issues, I'd pick a Purolator Classic over an OCOD as it has better filtration at a lower price. BUT, the OCOD has a stronger media (blended with synthetic fibers) that hasn't seen tear issues so currently between the two it would be the OCOD for me.

Originally Posted By: DarthDuty
Fram PH7317
Purolator Classic L14610

Im going to be using one of these, so no mention of ocod or tearolator will be allowed please.

Fram is a dollar more (ish), im fine with fiber endcaps, filters 95%, also has more/and bigger (flow/drain?) holes.

Puro is 97.5%, smaller/less holes, metal ends.

My biggest question is from videos ive seen, the fram has the oil go straight through lining up with the threads? (they call it a full flow lube filter on frams 7317 app lookup page.

Videos appear to show puro has only a top hole where threads are? I confused.

Not sure what you're looking at. Both filters have a ring of smaller holes where the oil flows into the filter, and a large central hole where the oil flows out. Looks like the purolator has 8 entrance holes, and the fram has 10. I doubt that there's any real difference in flow rates. My choice would be the Fram, simply because I like Fram more than I like Purolator.

Originally Posted By: webfors
If those are your only two options, the Fram would be the one I would choose.

+1

If you can get a 2015 date code, get the Purolator (month code G, fourth digit). The tearing issues have probably been fixed by now.

But Bike also has the right idea about getting a Napa Pro Select.

Both STP (AutoZone) and DriveWorks (Advanced Auto)
use a smaller 6607 size, so I would stay away from them.

I would use the Purolator...

In a video on youtube, a guy pulls apart a fram and puro, and the puro has a solid (bottom?) Im assuming is the metal end cap with a sort of spiral looking center.

No napas in my area, I work at WM and use my employee discount to get 10% off a puro which is $3.27 on the shelf.

I think you are seeing a different design of the bypass. They both have it (in 7317 size) and oil does not flow through it unless in bypass, oil has to flow through the media to be filtered rather obviously.

Maybe give us a link to the video so we can understand what you are looking at.

And though I'd likely go with a TG or XG, I'd definitely go Fram at this point since motoking is here to answer questions and take care of infrequent issues, and Purolator is well ... crickets...

certain things are better from different stores

Oil for example... hard to beat WM prices. I would definitely buy from WM.

Oil filters.... i would only buy if they had exactly what I wanted and even then only if it was the best price.

Just because you get a discount doesn't make it the best deal.

If my wife gets a coupon to Bed Bath and Beyond or Kohls in the mail she doesnt immediately go out and buy something simply because they gave her a coupon (THANK GOD)

Darth, I gotta wonder here. You give two choices, but you have significant concerns about both, which should tell you to ask for a third option.

Neither the Fram or the Purolator are as good as Napa Gold/Wix. Stop wringing your hands and wasting our time, and go to your local Napa store and get a superior filter to the two lousy choices you've backed yourself into.

^ I stated previously that I have no concerns using either option.

I have also stated that there is no napa around, YOUR post wasted MY time. The other replies were in no way wasteful. Both have been used on thousands of cars with no ill effects. Get educated.

I consider them equals, with the Fram having a way better o-ring gasket at the bottom, that is what I would choose. The cheap, small o-ring on the Purolator always, and I mean always leaks a few drops here and there on that Purolator model. I actually can't stand that model.

Purolator Classic's are safe, reliable and inexpensive. Use with confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back