Fram/Champion Labs Consolidation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't understand that comment myself. Since 06 with the Bosch, Mann&Hummel purchase of Purolator long a done deal. From my observation, they are not picking up anyones scraps.

I think Filter Guy was saying that a foreign company is not going to come in and put an American company out of business by out selling them. So the only threat is being bought out by one, like Purolator was. My guess is he is referring to where the company is based and not where it's production comes from.

Makes sense, I don't see Denzo or Tokyo Roki becoming mainstream US market filters in the near future and squeezing Wix or Clarcor out. Some consolation although I know a lot here from south of the border would prefer production was US based as well. Which I can't argue with as I would love to use a Canadian made filter, which I am waiting to get the specs on.

"I think Filter Guy was saying that a foreign company is not going to come in and put an American company out of business by out selling them"

Re-reading the post and the words " from within", I believe you are correct. Just saw no specific reference to Bosch/M&H purchase of Purolator after the comment of a foreign filter company buying an American filter maker.

IMO, after this consolidation of manufacturing the question is, is it now more likely that some of Champ/Fram oil filter manufacturing will move overseas to places like China?

Rank is based in New Zealand.

The only American filter company left that sells filters at the local merchant level is Affinia(WIX).They sell filters through Auto Value,NAPA and O'Reilly's Auto Parts.

While they may sell under different names and at other outlets,these are the main auto parts stores in many areas where WIX can be bought.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Keep buying Purolator, at least for now. 100% made in USA for the oil filters I believe. Shoot, 100% made right here in North Carolina.

Their fuel filters have been coming from China, but I have seen some from Israel, Taiwan, Thailand, and Korea.

I guess it was a long day and I didn't articulate clearly enough what I meant earlier.

Mann & Hummel with Purolator fully shows what I mean.

What I was trying to explain is that a foreign company who market their brand..Mann being one...isn't going to come to the USA and take over the market with their own brand. In other words when Mann bought Purolator, the brand Purolator didn't cease to exist and be replaced by Mann & Hummel.

Mann didn't buy Purolator to take over the USA market with their brand. And I didn't explain that is what I meant previously.

When I was travelling to South America and Asia, American made filters were priced at a premium but seen as top quality.

So a foreign filter manufacturer with their own brand will have trouble competing in the USA with all the brands that already exist. Oh they could do it by throwing loads of marketing money at it. But why for $.50 or a buck more per filter. They'll never recoop their advertising money. So their filters will primarily be used on their engines by those who think a German filter for a German car is best, as an example.

A few filter geeks might buy a European/Japanese name filter but then be a bit surprised when it is made in the USA, cost more, but is the same exact filter as the normal brand.

There are medias out there far superior to what is used in automotive filters. But they are not cost effective for the masses. Filter geeks may pay $15-20 for an oil filter but those who do are 1% of the market.

The best filter on the market used to be AC Delco's Duraguard gold filter line. Premium price. Premium media. Silicon gaskets. AC discontinued it ( except for 2 part numbers last i knew.) because it wasn't 1% of their sales. Wasn't worth the inventory space.

And I use this example because that is the reality of selling product. The masses want a decent filter for $6 or less. Filters that cost more don't sell in volume. They are just a niche market.

Now back to the merger. I suspect CHamp will continue on being the #1 private labeller of filters in North America and Fram will continue on promoting their product to the masses. I'd suggest Fram will have their racing budget cut. So get your "free" Fram hats and goodies while you can.

shocked.gif
+1......don't mess with our K&N, RP, M1. grrrrr!

Originally Posted By: honda1371
shocked.gif
+1......don't mess with our K&N, RP, M1. grrrrr!

You won't have to worry.

It's not up to Rand to dictate what goes inside a filter. K&N, RP, Mobil..all have the ability to dictate to the filter manufacturer what they want.

Rand is nothing more than another merger based organization. They'll ultimately sell Champ/Fram once they combine the two for profit down the road.

I suspect some in here never knew Purolator had a hydraulics division. They bought various hydraulic manufacturing companies and merged them under the Purolator banner. And then sold them off as seperate entities. There are now three different companies from the old Purolator hydraulic side. One in Florida, North Carolina, and California.

Megers come and go.

Originally Posted By: barfan
Filters are a commodity now, I would say in five years 90% of them will be made in China. Affinia(Wix) just opened a factory in China.

Watch the lead readings on UOA's go up.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Keep buying Purolator, at least for now. 100% made in USA for the oil filters I believe. Shoot, 100% made right here in North Carolina.

Their fuel filters have been coming from China, but I have seen some from Israel, Taiwan, Thailand, and Korea.

Which means they have been sourcing them, like all the filter companies have, for 30+ years depending on application and supply/demand. the larger the volume, the more likely it is made in house.

Maybe the two companies will combine their strengths and make a better product.

When dealing with an Ecotec engine it seems that where the filter is built is random, even from well known names like Champ, Purolator, and Fram.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

All of the pallets of Purolator filters we get come from Salt Lake City. Do they have manufacturing there also?

I didn't think so, but maybe. What is from Salt Lake City? Do the filter boxes themselves have SLC stamped on the boxes? Or is the pallet itself from SLC, perhaps just a stop on a distribution chain?

Edit: according to this website, spin-on filters are made in both Fayetteville, NC, and in SLC, UT.

http://www.purolator-facet.com/profile2.htm

The pallets come wrapped in plastic with an 8.5x11 sheet of paper inserted into it that says Salt Lake on it, with an image of a skiier below it.

Most of the Delcos (PF457G) are made here, the boxed ones anyway. The cello wrapped ones from the dealer are made in Romania or US. I stock up on the USA made Delcos. The Pure 1's are USA made but they don't fit the Ecotec as well as the Delcos.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
we buy group 7 oil filters here in the shop they are made by purolator and cost around $2.00 each

And I'm sure they're worth every penny. I had a v111 (a generic, oilchange place filter also) pop open when I was removing it from a vehicle (Waaaayyyy overtightened) and there wasn't much inside. Even though this happened around 1980, I have seen no reason to try cheap generics again. I pay ~$3.50 for Motorcrafts and ~$5 for Delcos. Its not worth the risk to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back