Found Some Pennzoil Ultra! (Non PurePlus)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I was in an area Walmart yesterday and they had plenty of quarts of old Ultra on "clearance" at $7.00/qt.
They even had a decent quantity of G-Oil on "clearance" for $4.00/qt and $21.00/jug.
There is still a fair amount of old Ultra out there as well as some G-Oil for those who really like either or both.

Which Walmart?

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Flagstaff, Prescott?? (or north of even those?)
Prescott. How'd you guess?

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
GinaFishbeck, Why is the mighty SOPUS starving the world of Ultra?

They aren't. They just don't make that particular basestock blend anymore.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I was in an area Walmart yesterday and they had plenty of quarts of old Ultra on "clearance" at $7.00/qt.
They even had a decent quantity of G-Oil on "clearance" for $4.00/qt and $21.00/jug.
There is still a fair amount of old Ultra out there as well as some G-Oil for those who really like either or both.

Which Walmart?

Hamilton West, although I've seen it elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: RGR
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Wish I could find some of this in 5W-30, I thought the test results for it at the PQIA website really looked great.
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Ah yes...that Noack of 6.6....so far above the rest, folks thought it was a typo when it first appeared, rather than something so special that it MUST be hoarded!

AND it had the lowest viscosity at -30C in that group, a tad below Mobil 1 and Havoline!
I liked the sound of excellent performance at both temperature extremes.
were_not_worthy_waynes_world.gif

Still have 8 5qt jugs of the old 5W-20 Ultra from the Pep Boys sale a couple of years ago.

I had been saving it for my Land Cruiser but I've been letting the Camrys in on some of it lately.

I may move the LC to M1EP 5W-30 once my stash of Ultra is depleted.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
AND it had the lowest viscosity at -30C in that group, a tad below Mobil 1 and Havoline!
I liked the sound of excellent performance at both temperature extremes.

Great winter oil. The new Ultra GTL version PurePlus has a 4,000 cP at -30C, so still a great cold oil.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
GinaFishbeck, Why is the mighty SOPUS starving the world of Ultra?

If she sees this, she'll give you a marketing answer. I'll tell you the truth. Pennzoil will not call this an extended drain oil. So, in the world of an A5/B5 dexos1 Platinum, an Ultra that costs more becomes redundant. And, unless SOPUS decides to make this a long drain oil akin to Castrol's and Mobil's variants, I suggest that the market will make Ultra redundant, too. That already happened in Canada before SN/GF-5 came out. There are only two retailers in Canada I can think of that carry Ultra, one of them being SOPUS's own Pennzoil-Quaker State distributors.

I'd rather buy an engine oil that is manufactured in North America. But...
If I was going to order anything from Qatar, it would be a young wealthy bride,
not the old one with the mustache.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back