Found Some Pennzoil Ultra! (Non PurePlus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Up visiting my dad and he was due for an oil change on his 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser. Went to Walmart and was going to get some Castrol Magnatec Synthetic Blend but they didn't have any in a 5w30. Then I see the good ol' Pennzoil Ultra on the shelf, last one of it's kind and it was in 5w30. Of course I grabbed it off the shelf as well as a Fram Ultra. The FJ is one happy camper. I've never noticed a difference in engine noise when changing to a different oil, but it actually does seem quieter now. This is it's first taste of synthetic and has lived on dealer bulk conventional its entire life, now at 100,300 miles. He went 7,000 miles on dealer conventional on this last change, he went by the service light then went over by about 500 miles. The oil that came out was the cleanest I've ever seen drain out of an engine too, very very golden.

I guess there was no point to this post but to share that there's still some hope in finding the old Pennzoil Ultraif that's what you're looking for. His town is a little small at 40,000 people so I don't think oil is flying off the shelfs at Walmart.

14mytr5.jpg

Lucky dog you!! I've got about 15 jugs of 5-30 Ultra, and maybe another 4-6 of 5-20, in the stash. I've spotted a jug or two of Ultra in the Denver area earlier in the summer, but I refuse to pay full price.

i liked the older pennzoil ultra also.. I am not so happy with the new pennzoil platinum it seems really thin even in the 5w30 and my engine is not quiet on that new platinum either.

Originally Posted By: RGR
Lucky dog you!! I've got about 15 jugs of 5-30 Ultra, and maybe another 4-6 of 5-20, in the stash. I've spotted a jug or two of Ultra in the Denver area earlier in the summer, but I refuse to pay full price.
20 jugs of PU!? Wow, I got 30 quarts 1 1/2 years ago from Auto Zone's $1.00 per quart clearance. Have maybe 12 or so left in my stash, but my oil is at home 110 miles away from his house.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
The oil that came out was the cleanest I've ever seen drain out of an engine too, very very golden.

Pics or it didn't happen!
wink.gif

Up visiting my dad and he was due for an oil change on his 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Hah, only on BITOG do we makes excuses to see family just to change their oil, LOL!

I was in an area Walmart yesterday and they had plenty of quarts of old Ultra on "clearance" at $7.00/qt.
They even had a decent quantity of G-Oil on "clearance" for $4.00/qt and $21.00/jug.
There is still a fair amount of old Ultra out there as well as some G-Oil for those who really like either or both.

since someone mentioned g-oil... their oil is ok but dont EVER buy the non-pressurized g-oil pump saver its 100% worthless (for power washer)

I still have 10qt of g-oil from F.A.R. deals.
but decided to use up the 2011 rotella t5 last oil change.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Up visiting my dad and he was due for an oil change on his 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Hah, only on BITOG do we makes excuses to see family just to change their oil, LOL!
Lol, actually if I knew he needed an oil change I would have brought up some Castrol GTX SynBlend from my stash.

Originally Posted By: Rand
since someone mentioned g-oil... their oil is ok but dont EVER buy the non-pressurized g-oil pump saver its 100% worthless (for power washer)

I still have 10qt of g-oil from F.A.R. deals.
but decided to use up the 2011 rotella t5 last oil change.

That would have been I.
I still have four or five jugs of FAR G-Oil and a few quarts as well.
The very idea of an oil remaining on clearance for a couple of years at only five bucks less than its original shelf price seems laughable.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Wish I could find some of this in 5W-30, I thought the test results for it at the PQIA website really looked great.
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

PQIA had the old Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30's NOACK at 6.6%, but the new version using GTL basestocks has a Pennzoil pdf file saying its now up to 11.5%, so not as impressive anymore. Their claim of cleaner pistons than M1 and Synpower and their own Plat is intact though. I like the cleaner piston aspect of this, but did they re-do their claims based on the new GTL PurePlus version?????

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Wish I could find some of this in 5W-30, I thought the test results for it at the PQIA website really looked great.
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

PQIA had the old Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30's NOACK at 6.6%, but the new version using GTL basestocks has a Pennzoil pdf file saying its now up to 11.5%, so not as impressive anymore. Their claim of cleaner pistons than M1 and Synpower and their own Plat is intact though. I like the cleaner piston aspect of this, but did they re-do their claims based on the new GTL PurePlus version?????

I thought it was weird that the NOACK for the GTL Platinum (10.1%) is actually a bit lower than for the GTL Ultra Platinum!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back