Found beater car....can't decide whether to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know you could still buy a car that moves under it's own power for under $1000.

100k is nothing, as long as they kept oil in it. The rings are low tension, too low. That allows them to have good compression but not good oil control. My sons sc1 5 speed will get 42 hwy with out air and the windows up in cooler weather. My automatic sc1 ( same engine) gets about 28 expressway/town and 37 hwy.

The nice thing is, they are easy to work on. Unless its a late 02 model , check and change he conlant temp sensor. They are a know problem and will cause them to run really rich. Get the brass tipped cts sensor. The other common thread seems to be an intake manifold gasket, its easy to change.

Everyone should own a beater daily driver at least once in their lives. I've owned several and they've all been a great ownership experience. One was a Chevette that contrary to popular opinion rand 5 years with no major problems. It took a bit of work to get it going because the price I paid was that I had to remove it from the previous owners driveway and never return it. New tires, a brake job and a bunch of oil changes with Delo 15w-40 and trans fluid changes along with flushing the cooling system and diff, all weekend projects that required no special tools or expertise. We never washed it for fear that the patina would be damaged and people might recognize if as a self propelled vehicle. This car taught my daughter how to drive, change oil and other maintenance tasks including changing a flat tire and unfortunately went to the junk yard when she ran it into a ditch dodging a car that ran a stop light. We received a cash settlement that went toward a down payment for my daughter's first car, a new Mazda.

Again, everyone should own at least one beater in their lives. It's good for the soul.

How to tell an SL1 from SL2 is by the painted/matching front and rear bumpers. At least for the '94 and the SL2 (dual cam)had the same matching color front to back. If it looks like the front/rear bumpers are painted greyish, it's most likely an SL1. (single cam). Still miss my '94 SL2 5 spd. And in agreement with the temp sensor changing. I also needed an EGR and the passenger motor mount

Last edited:
Totally agree OneEyeJack. I love my POS Falcon. And my wife hates it, which just strengthens the bond between man and machine! In fact, I'm so enamored with her (the car) that she'll soon be getting a heart transplant in the form of a low mileage engine and trans, just to keep her going for a few more years
smile.gif
OP, we never got the Saturn here, so I know nothing about them, but 400 bucks is a cheap gamble, I say go for it!

Its an SC2 if it has popup headlights... Nice find, I love those SC's... So hard to find around here anymore.

Headlight frames will probably be bad... Beware..

Check front subframe for rot on the drivers side, and as said, rear trailing arm mounts.

I just bought my old 96 SL2 back as a daily/beater and I am happy to have it back. Cars are solid overall, but they do have their small repetitive issues. For me its always front wheel bearings. The rest is fairly standard stuff I guess.

Fun cars to drive though, mine is DOHC/5 speed.

I hope you get it and take care of it... first gen SC's are great IMO.

Originally Posted By: Alltherage
What can one do about the headlight frames
With as cheap as the car is maybe duct tape and glue them in lol

Once a friend got a beater wagon with a slipping auto trans for $85, which is $318 in today's money. We had so much fun, knowing we could just walk away from the car if it stranded us. Except for the trans, anything we did with that car it put up with and kept running. Did a lot of off-roading. Started developing respect for the thing.

I guess I'd recommend another beater wagon, so you have cargo area to haul stuff around. Or, maybe offer $350 for the Saturn and see if the other party sells.

Get one of those peer-to-peer car rental apps and make some righteous bucks
crackmeup2.gif

You offer me $350 for that car and I'm gonna say get off my lawn LOL

$400 is dirt cheap giveaway price already.

Sounds like a great deal to me. These Saturns used to be as common as mesquitos in a swamp, but even the later model S-series are getting tougher to find. I've had a few in my stable at one time or another:

01 SL2 - bought in August 05' for $2500 (yep, $2500 for a 4 year old car with everything working) blew up engine #1 in 07', installed built motor and blew up the auto transmission in 10', converted to manual and blew up two more engines. Awaiting engine #4.

96 SC2 - "gold line" edition, paid $600 (running and driving with bad hg), bought for the manual trans and swap parts for the 01'. Ended up using most of the drivetrain in the 01'.

02' SL2 - bought wrecked in front for $700, but perfectly driveable with rebuilt 10k mile motor, mint interior and cold ac. Ended up parting out and made a few bucks.

99' SL2 - Bought as a 'flipper' for $300, ended up dragging across the scales as a non running car. Never could get it to run, possibly flooded multiple times in a lady's yard I had to dig it out of.

(current daily) 96' SL2. Manual locks windows, 5 speed. Technically it's dads car, but he's loaned it to me since he bought a newer Civic. Bought with fresh paint job and mint interior for $600 with a blown hg and cracked cylinder head. Rebuilt engine in 2011, blew another hg Feb. 14'. Rebuilt engine again, this time machined the block, re-machined the head, and used ARP studs to hold it together.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
400!bucks for a running car.
Sold.

Yep! I might actually be ashamed to try and offer less. I had an old Saturn that ran awesomely for 250k and only needed a new water pump. Great gas mileage and reliable as anything, just check the oil. For $400 who cares how much oil it burns. I still wish I had that car and if I could find one with 100k for $400 i would be here telling you about the great deal I got instead of asking for opionions. But thats just my opinion after driving the wheels off one
smile.gif

To help determine the differences between the SC1 & SC2:

SC1-single overhead cam(SOHC) w/14" wheels/tires(IIRC, 185-70-14) with F:DISK/R:DRUM brakes.

SC2-double overhead cam(DOHC) w/15" wheels/tires(IIRC, 195-60-15) with 4 wheel Disk brakes.

And pre-96 cars, little to worry about for emissions & CEL's for NY State Inspections.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back