Form-a-funnel on 8G Civic Si....works amazingly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people (definitely owners) might know that the k20 in the 06-11 Civic Si has a terribly located oil filter and it's not only hard to get to with a oil filter wrench (I use a strap wrench and it was fine) but it also makes an absolute mess everywhere when you remove the filter: oil on the drive axle and CV boot, the subframe, the backside of the block, the oil cooler etc etc.

Anyway I bought a form-a-funnel and when I first got under the car I didn't see a good way to orient it because the half shaft is so close, but I figured it out and it worked very well. I literally did not spill a single drop of oil.

Here are some pictures to help with orientation:

2011-04-28_17-48-35_213-1304028110334_m.jpg

2011-04-28_17-48-16_831-1304028073552_m.jpg

That reminds me of what the back of the Saturn engine looked like.

The Honda R18 oil filter is so easy, about the only thing that I like better about a regular Civic over a K20 SI
smile.gif

That is sweet though, makes OC's so much easier.

My wife's k24z2 Accord has the new location oil filter that is straight up and down and is very nice.

But yes the R18 and Fit L15 have awesome oil filter locations
smile.gif

Form-A-Funnel is a little pricey, but it's a quality tool and I have no doubts that it will last for years, possibly a lifetime. It's hefty and the ability to lock in a funnel in any shape needed comes in handy.

Works great on those cars where removing the filter spills oil everywhere.

I don't think it's pricey. $25 shipped from Griots.

I think of it 2 ways.

There is the 'value in use' meaning purely making the oil change easier/faster. Sure this isn't real money, but it's something.

Then there is the real return on investment. Me being the anal car owner I am, I'd probably use at least a half can of brake cleaner and 5-8 blue shop towels every oil change just to clean up the mess that removing the oil filter on this car would cause. At the rate I'll change the oil/filter, I easily see saving $25 in brake cleaner and shop towels in 2-3 years
smile.gif

Yes, price is in the eye of the beholder. Versus a funnel it is expensive, but it does things a funnel can't do. I got mine from Napa and mailed in the rebate from this site. They sent me the $2 rebate, plus another $1 and some oil dry sheet samples.

Now, Griot's that expensive...just kidding of course. Wonder if or when I'll get the Griot's starter set I ordered from Amazon when it was $15. Hope it is soon.

Honda A-series and D-series engines are similar in oil filter location. Looks like I will have to buy one of these!

Clark

I wish I had my Form-a-funnel back when I had my Si! I bought one for my wife's Pilot and it works great there! Very nice tool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back