Ford Police Responder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
What does pursuit rated mean? A pickup is not the best for this because it's so light in back.

I heard on the news it was "pursuit rated" to 100mph. I agree-I wouldn't want to drive my Silverado at that speed for too terribly long.

Why is that so ? My expe is doing 80 at 2k rpm all day long. 100 is like 2500 rpm i am assuming. True its not a crown vic.
smile.gif

Because a pickup at speed isn't all that stable-that's why. In addition you blow a tire on a pickup at that speed (and most cars) and your toast.

Good point. Indiana state troopers like tahoes or expeditions probably for that reason. Quite a few of them near indy
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
What does pursuit rated mean? A pickup is not the best for this because it's so light in back.

I heard on the news it was "pursuit rated" to 100mph. I agree-I wouldn't want to drive my Silverado at that speed for too terribly long.

Why is that so ? My expe is doing 80 at 2k rpm all day long. 100 is like 2500 rpm i am assuming. True its not a crown vic.
smile.gif

Because a pickup at speed isn't all that stable-that's why. In addition you blow a tire on a pickup at that speed (and most cars) and your toast.

120 in my Navigator ain't squat. I don't make a regular habit of it, but if I see people already going that fast, I'll trail them at 1/4 mile behind so the FHP will get them first and give me a chance to slow down.

I did a run on I-71 yesterday and every Ohio State Patrol vehicle I saw was a Tahoe...hunkered-down, lower than most "retail" GM SUVs. I suspect a lot of high-speed ability has to do with ride height, which of course is inversely related to off-road capability. I suppose it comes down to where the vehicle is expected to operate...

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
turtlevette said:

smile.gif

120 in my Navigator ain't squat. I don't make a regular habit of it, but if I see people already going that fast, I'll trail them at 1/4 mile behind so the FHP will get them first and give me a chance to slow down.

Unless you have been professionally trained-your machismo isn't going to save you from flipping that vehicle at that speed if you blow a tire.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Border Patrol will take million please.

They already have it. And yes, you can get it with all the skid plating and off-road kit you want. Edit: And I will take the 6-speed on the SSV over the 10 Speed on the Responder.

I can see the highway patrol/state police in CA/OR/WA/UT/CO/AK get these - higher off the ground than an Explorer, and they can compliment the Tahoe/Expedition SSVs. Especially after first snow in Tahoe and seeing people eat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back