FORD Lovers Look Here

1) Makes life easier and I would say yes. My 2GR Toyota wants the engine dropped for a simple water pump replacement. Good techs figured a work around soon enough.
2) What automaker doesn't have phaser issues?
3) I do expect shocks/struts to last, and usually don't replace my struts/shocks/springs until 150k miles. Wonder if there was an issue, or simply to help the tech make a good days pay for the underpaid warranty work. I tend not to argue with tech/service writer when getting big dollar repairs and they toss in some possibly unneeded extras and fluff for a couple bucks.

What grade oil? Time to climb the HTHS ladder.
What filter? Pick another one.
Interval... its sad that I'd recommend 5k instead of 6k

Dumpster fire.... sad comment but extremely truthful. I just don't know what the automakers are doing. All seem to be guilty too often with various issues.

Reactions: D60
Some likely stupid questions if you will entertain them:

1) The engine has to come out to replace the cam phasers?
2) Are cam phasers on these Ford's an issue? Do you know why / how they fail?
3) I presume the other stuff was found as part of the other stuff they were working on?
1. I didn't think so.
2. Seems so. Plenty of videos on You Tube about this issue.
3. In medicine we call those, 'incidental findings'

Dropping the subframe is pretty standard these days. Easier to get the timing cover off out of the car.

It's been a Ford Thing (tm)(r) for the last ~20 years.
They clearly know what they are doing on some cam phasers, don’t really see any complaints about cam phasers on 2.5s and I haven’t had any trouble. Besides my friends 5.4 3v is doing just fine and it’s over 100K miles don’t remember exactly how many. So while yes the failure rate on those was way too high they don’t all fail.

This car got all this for "an occasional rattle on startup."

I wonder how long before "occasional" became "permanent" and then how much longer before it became catastrophic?

25k? 50? 100? More? Never?

I see something that no one has picked up on. The 2020 Ford Explorer was the first year production of the Sixth Generation Explorer. My number one rule on buying a new car is to NEVER buy a car in the first year of it’s production run. I don’t care what brand or model you buy. First year production vehicles tend to be racked with problems and recalls.

And you guys like to pick on Chrysler/ jeeps. Lol
Thing is at least Chrysler is consistently "meh". Ford can hit it out of the park one day (6.2 V8 for example) then build this the next day.

I understand manufacturers try new things and need to push the envelope but this roller coaster of awesome, horrible, awesome, horrible is almost worst than Chrysler who is just consistently a C- student.

I think it was maybe @Greasymechtech who said in a different thread that increasingly they're using the buying public for their R&D. New designs are fine but test 'em thoroughly before release and then needing 15 revised designs like the 3V timing components.

Aside from money this is another reason I'm more comfortable buying used vehicles 6 to 10 years old: there's a track record.

I see something that no one has picked up on. The 2020 Ford Explorer was the first year production of the Sixth Generation Explorer. My number one rule on buying a new car is to NEVER buy a car in the first year of it’s production run. I don’t care what brand or model you buy. First year production vehicles tend to be racked with problems and recalls.
Nope, we mentioned it several times. This was Ford's worst launch in recent history.

I had read a different article -- which I now cannot locate -- that they were piling them up in warehouses and paying people to go over them with a fine tooth comb, fixing things that:
1) should not have been a problem in the first place and
2) you'd typically never expect to build "in the field", ie not at the factory.

You got my point. It is hugely disappointing to see a great American car company, a pioneer in building cars on an assembly line with interchangeable parts, build such trash. Every car company owes so much to what Ford did. He changed the world. And now? Sheesh.

I absolutely get it.
That's inexcusable, period.
Ford hasn't had any leadership in years, and it really shows.
In everything from product decisions to quality.
Quality is now afterthought one.

I absolutely get it.
That's inexcusable, period.
Ford hasn't had any leadership in years, and it really shows.
In everything from product decisions to quality.
Quality is now afterthought one.
Ford sold a lot of vehicles last year. I believe they lost $2B in 2022. Hard to fathom. Hard to take.
If I were buying a pickup right now, it would be an F-150 with the 2.7 engine. But I just can't.

as noted buying any new untested tech is a NO-NO but with todays vehicles being more techy than ever issues can + DO happen!! my 200 thou 2001 1.8T jetta was great as my 2001 audi TT 225Q + i prolly would NOT buy a newer model WITHOUT a LONG warranty!!

Of course there's always the exception ;) Our very early production DT actually hasn't been too bad, a couple early production TSB's (body mounts, rear brake calliper brackets), but the powertrain was a carry-over from the DS.

Of course there's always the exception ;) Our very early production DT actually hasn't been too bad, a couple early production TSB's (body mounts, rear brake calliper brackets), but the powertrain was a carry-over from the DS.
There are exceptions. Ford did a major upgrade in the 2020 Explorer. Ford went back to standard rear wheel drive. The 3.0 Ecoboost was was added and it is essentially a bored and stroked 2.7 Ecoboost. The 2.7 has been around for a while. On the other hand, the 3.0 Ecoboost is pretty new. A vehicle in it’s third year of production is going to a safer buy than a first year run.

Back