For those of you who use Michelins..

Status
Not open for further replies.
After checking tire rack, I'm considering this tire (defender), but have a few questions for those who run and Michelin tires..

1- The expected life of the tire..I'll never see the milage, in my case I'm curious to see how long they will hold up. These tires have two +'s...living in the northern US/car is usually out of the sun. My current GYs are still doing/look well, but after 8 years, I don't plan to take that chance....

2. Since it is a mix of Harmony/Hydroedge, can I expect a "Sportier" tire? I thought of going with some summer rubber, but if they handle well (though pretty much anything will handle better than my GY integ's sister tire)

I was considering the BFG Touring TAs, but these look interesting....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...mp;autoModClar=

But pricey!

Last edited:
I've never seen the Defender model but looks extremely similar to the Harmony/X-Radial available through various distributors. I've had the Harmony and X-Radial and describe them as a passeger tire MORE than a "sportier tire." I like the BFG Touring TA's as well. They have a high UTIG rating and are reasonably priced, but do prefer the ride and sound quality of the Michelin's. I'd say buy the Michelins now since there is the $70 MIR OR if it is any other time of the year without the MIR, the BFG would suffice. Personally, I wait for these $70 MIR to come around and buy then. I actually get them at Sam's Club where Sam's applies the $70 rebate at the register with no MIR submission on my part.

I have a set of Latitudes on my 4 runner....I am so-so with them. But I buy only sale tires anyway. They were on sale at Tire Rack when I got them. They are about a 7-8 on a 10 scale.

Was in Costco this evening. Tire guy said the Defender was replacing the X and one other Michelin model in Costco's lineup, although Michelin says they are the replacement for the Harmony and HydroEdge. Time will tell if the Costco guy is correct. Costco was expecting them "soon"

Michelin Defender

Defender

I run Michelin's LTX M/S om my Ridgeline. I give them a 9.5 out of 10. Smooth ride and long lasting tread. Even gone mild off-roading with no issues. Original tires and tread is still at 6/32. Pricey as well but will buy again when it's time.

The Michelin Defender looks like my Michelin Destiny's. I heard the Destiny's were/are made only for Discount Tire by Michelin. They have an 80k warranty and are a bit less expensive. I like them over the OEM Hankooks that came with my car. They are a bit quieter and I think the treadlife will make it way over the 80k . . . I've driven them over 15k miles and I drive 80% highway on a daily basis.

Personally, I don't recommend the BFG Touring TA's. They're good on dry or wet pavement. But when you live in the midwest, you need a good tire in the cold weather too. The BFG's were horrible when the temps got below 35F. Otherwise, a decent tire for the price. My family has used 2 set on 2 different vehicles.

I hope this helps you out.

If your tires are not going to see the mileage anyway, then why not purchase the stickiest set of all-season tires available?

The only reason most people purchase long wearing tire is because they actually accumulate a significant number of miles. If you don't, then why bother?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
If your tires are not going to see the mileage anyway, then why not purchase the stickiest set of all-season tires available?

The only reason most people purchase long wearing tire is because they actually accumulate a significant number of miles. If you don't, then why bother?

Very true. Though I've noticed the choices are disappearing fast though. Last I checked some of the better choices left were the Sumitomo HTR and Yoko TRZs...

I was looking closely at the Defenders for my CR-V, but after coming to the realization that I'll never achieve the rated miles, I instead bought the Latitude Tours, which are still a 65,000 mile tire (vice 90,000 miles). Longer-wearing tires will typically have a harder compound, and that usually brings compromises in wet/winter traction. Will that be the case with the Defender? I can't say for sure. That WAS the case, at least partially, with the outgoing HydroEdge. Winter traction wasn't its strong suit, and it rode pretty firm for being a premium all-season tire.

As they say, there's no free lunch. I prefer shorter-wearing tires.

I do like that they're all made in the United States.

I was looking at them for when I need to replace my Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires, but the Defender comes only in a T speed rating so I'll pass. The H rating of the factory specs is soft enough for me.

Will probably stay with the MXV4 or perhaps try the Nokian WRG2.

As far as treadlife goes, I have 20k on my MXV4 right now and expect 50-70 out of them, depending on when they start the get dicey in wet and winter conditions. Barely any wear to note yet.

You want a sportier all season, and you don't expect to wear them out in a reasonable number of years?
General Altimax HP.
Priced right, too.
Unless you're going to do real miles each year, forget Michelin AS tires, since their main claim to fame is long mileage with no problems.
I've always found this to be the case.
I have Michelin Primacy tires on one car now.
I also have General Altimax tires on two cars, and would recommend them.
Overall very good tires at a really good price.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You want a sportier all season, and you don't expect to wear them out in a reasonable number of years?
General Altimax HP.
Priced right, too.
Unless you're going to do real miles each year, forget Michelin AS tires, since their main claim to fame is long mileage with no problems.

It would have the be the RTs for me, as they do not make the HP in my 14 size....

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
From his link, a Chevy Cavalier.

Yep, with 14 inch base tires....rolling doughnuts, if you will...

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
General Altimax HP.
Priced right, too.

I'm trying to decide between Michelin Primacy and Altimax HP for a car of mine. Could you contrast your impression of the Primacy vs the Altimax HP? Maybe the balance between ride quality/noise and handling/performance, although I realize that might be difficult since they are probably installed on two different cars.

I have some long term experience with the Altimax HP which I think give a good balance of good ride quality and quiet yet good handling and traction but only long term experience with Michelin Energy MXV4 which I thought were so-so, and Michelin Weatherwise II which I thought were not good for anything, but not much time with the Primacy MXV4. So I'm a little leery of Michelin. And sorry Dave if I'm hijacking your thread.

There's a thread on the Michelin Defender here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...nt=3&page=1

Yes, the Michelin Defender has been confirmed to be the replacement for:

Harmony/Destiny/X-Radial DT
HydroEdge

It is also likely to be a replacement for the WeatherWise II (formerly Agility).

Harmony, Destiny, X-Radial DT and WeatherWise II are all "sisters." Essentially the same tire, the only real difference being cosmetic variations in the tread pattern (things like mirror image of the Harmony's tread, slightly different shape to the curves of the sipes, but all the major elements identical). The last 3 tires were created as "exclusives" so the independents didn't have direct price competition. Destiny is the version sold at Discount Tire/America's Tire (USA) and at Canadian Tire (Canada). X-Radial DT is at the warehouse clubs (Costco, Sams, BJ's). WeatherWise II is Sears' (USA) version.

It sounds like there is going to be a mainstream Defender model, and a variation of the Defender for the big boxes, but possibly now only one variant for all big boxes.

No one has driven on a Defender tire yet, as Michelin isn't releasing them until April.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back