Fontana Dam / Dam Engineering

I didn't want to severely derail @wwillson 's dam thread, but I enjoy thinking about (and visiting) the things. One of the places I've visited a few times not far from me is the Fontana dam. Built by the TVA in the closing years of WWII it is the tallest dam in the eastern US and carries with it an interesting fact that it has been sliced in two-three separate times now. It's not exactly possible to tear it down and rebuild it, and due to alkali-aggregate reaction and thermal expansion, the dam is growing, causing cracks and other issues.

There are several TVA dams that have had this done (and probably more around the world), but this is the biggest one I've set foot on. To me, it is an odd feeling standing on top of something so big, holding back so much water, and thinking that it has been sliced into pieces, even knowing that there's no problem.

When I lived in Palo Cedro Calif from 2000 until 2017 Shasta Dam ran tours through the safe for visitors areas and the tour was interesting. Taking a Dam tour is fun, You can use the Dam bathrooms, the Dam soda machines .

When I lived in Palo Cedro Calif from 2000 until 2017 Shasta Dam ran tours through the safe for visitors areas and the tour was interesting. Taking a Dam tour is fun, You can use the Dam bathrooms, the Dam soda machines .
Now Clark........

Back