Follow up: 2004 Ion 5-speed, Pennzoil Synchromesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric, thanks for the link. I'm gonna check that out.

Justin, were you in Texas at the time? Like I mentioned, if I leave it in my 45* shed its fine, but if it sits outside under 45*, down to minus temps in WI, it gets very hard to shift.

The Pennzoil/GM Synchromesh is a good deal THICKER than any Dex 3 ATF, so I suspect that in your upper midwest locale, it would shift even WORSE than what you have in there during outside winter ambients before warming up to temp.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
The Pennzoil/GM Synchromesh is a good deal THICKER than any Dex 3 ATF, so I suspect that in your upper midwest locale, it would shift even WORSE than what you have in there during outside winter ambients before warming up to temp.

Which means consider using a thinner MTF like Pentosin MTF2 or equivalent. Just make sure it is an MTF and not an ATF if you want to treat your MTX the best.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Which means consider using a thinner MTF like Pentosin MTF2 or equivalent. Just make sure it is an MTF and not an ATF if you want to treat your MTX the best.

This is a great product, and I believe it is synthetic as well.
Equates to a 75w fluid. The synthetic aspect will greatly help shifting in very cold temps.

Sometimes a thicker fluid helps by taking up some wear/clearance/tolerance slack. Also, since shifter movement is slower in molasses vs water, which might give the synchros more time to work. It might shift better but you might actually just be shifting a few milliseconds slower due to visc.

If the Synchromesh works better than your previous ATF attempts, stick with it. Pennzoil and Valvoline synchromesh are usually in stock at local autoparts stores. 2cst extra visc isn't much too worry about. But, really cold weather performance might not be as good.

The pour point and VI of Pennzoil Synchromesh beats out many conventional dexmercs.

Thanks a lot for the input!

Would Royal Purple Synchromax be a potential player also? Kinda sounds like that is one of the thinner MTFs out there designed as a replacement for ATF. True?

Originally Posted By: MY_FYN_79
Thanks a lot for the input!

Would Royal Purple Synchromax be a potential player also? Kinda sounds like that is one of the thinner MTFs out there designed as a replacement for ATF. True?

Several years ago I switched to RP Synchromax from various ATF fluids, spec'd for my 2002 F-150 5 speed. The overall shifting is noticeably better and so is the extreme cold shifting. It was -2F the other morning and it shifted without any resistance, like it was spring again
grin.gif

Whimsey

Molacule- what are you thoughts on using the syncromesh in the transmission of my MX bike with wet clutch? Many are using Type F ATF in these with good results but the manual calls for 10w40 oil.

I was thinking the SM may be a good improvement over the regular spec'd 10W40

Because of this thread bump, I just ordered some Pennzoil Synchromesh (25% off over $50 orders and free shipping at Pep Boys - was $6/qt + tax!) to put in the Vue.
Will report back if any changes are noted (currently running Redline D4, which seems like it slots above standard ATF/Dex, but below MTF/Synch for protection). Honestly didn't notice any change when I poured D4 in around 90k, replacing factory ATF. Currently around 128k.

Well that sucks. My Vue officially shifts worse in the cold with the RP Synchromax than the Amsoil Dex 3.

Gonna have to go back to the drawing board. I don't understand how it can shift so poorly in the cold.

My Ion shifts better in cold with the Pennzoil than it ever did with Dex. Of course, my TN cold is probably a lot different from your WI cold.

Well that sucks. My Vue officially shifts worse in the cold with the RP Synchromax than the Amsoil Dex 3.

Gonna have to go back to the drawing board. I don't understand how it can shift so poorly in the cold.

How long has the RP been in service? What temps are you experiencing? What are the specific issues with poor shifting? Is it just hard to get in gear, downshift, etc.?

What's odd about RP Synchromax is that is doesn't even
carry a GL specification, that IS odd.

I wonder if the stuff is GL-5 or a GL-4+5 product?

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

What's odd about RP Synchromax is that is doesn't even
carry a GL specification, that IS odd.

I wonder if the stuff is GL-5 or a GL-4+5 product?

Amsoil doesn't list a GL rating for their synchromesh fluid, either. It isn't uncommon. These are thin MTFs designed for yellow metal synchronized MTXs.

Its been around 10 degrees or so. Tomorrow is gonna be a high of 5, low of around -15.

Vue has 86,500 miles on it. I bought it with a bad engine and replaced the clutch when the engine was out. First trans fill was Amsoil Dex 3 equiv, then replaced with RP Synchromax. Synchromax has probably 15 miles on it. Amsoil had roughly 450 miles on it.

Getting it into 1st and 2nd has been the problem. I almost came to a complete stop on the road after work today to get it into 2nd gear. When warm its good but cold feels like there is butter in the trans.

Its been around 10 degrees or so. Tomorrow is gonna be a high of 5, low of around -15.

Vue has 86,500 miles on it. I bought it with a bad engine and replaced the clutch when the engine was out. First trans fill was Amsoil Dex 3 equiv, then replaced with RP Synchromax. Synchromax has probably 15 miles on it. Amsoil had roughly 450 miles on it.

Getting it into 1st and 2nd has been the problem. I almost came to a complete stop on the road after work today to get it into 2nd gear. When warm its good but cold feels like there is butter in the trans.

Try Pentosin MTF 2 75w-80 synthetic manual transmission gear oil.

Last edited:
The Ravenol/Pentosin/RoyalPurple MT fluids are visc similar and really close to Amsoil ATF. Chevy Castrol BOT 303 and Mopar BOT 350, along with Amsoil ATL, are a little thinner. Redline D4 and D6 are pretty good with cold weather specs too.

Since clearances change with temp, possibly binding tightening up the gearbox, the solution might be a stick-on heater.

Add in a dose of Lubegard Gear Fluid Supplement. Also, make an effort to run the fluid for a few 1000 miles prior to abandoning it.

Take a few samples of oil in Dixie cups and see what it looks like after a cold overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back