Foam machine pads: is there a standard in colors??

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a couple of foam pads for my PC and some for my other buffer. as they are not marked, how do i tell which one to use for what?? is there an industry standard when it come to colors = hardness?

Last edited:
Depends on the brand - Which brand are they?
every brand like Griots, Lake County etc has a chart describing their colors and matching use/cutting power on their websites.
Autogeek has many such charts from different brands on their website.

As has already been mentioned, there really isn't any consistency amongst different brands and sometimes even within the same brand like Lake Country, which I tend to mainly use, there can be difference between pads. For example, I like their hydro-tech pads and tend to use the orange which has just a little cut and, depending on the paint, can be used to finish. However, the LC orange flat pad is a significantly different beast, with much more cut and should never be used to finish.

LC pad chart:
http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/buffing-pad-chart-lc.htm

some other brands:

PAD_CHART.JPG

Originally Posted By: Capa
However, the LC orange flat pad is a significantly different beast, with much more cut and should never be used to finish.

I've found that LC orange pads and Meguiars M205 work great as a one-step polish for most paints. The finish may not be a 9 or 10/10, but it is still more than adequate for a daily driver.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Capa
However, the LC orange flat pad is a significantly different beast, with much more cut and should never be used to finish.

I've found that LC orange pads and Meguiars M205 work great as a one-step polish for most paints. The finish may not be a 9 or 10/10, but it is still more than adequate for a daily driver.

If you're not seeking perfection, and if the paint on the vehicle isn't soft or very soft, and then sure. Hard paint covers a multitude of sin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back