Foam covering for K&N air filter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
While visiting K&Ns page about their oil filters, I came across this:

http://www.knfilters.com/airforcewraps.htm

It solves my dilemma, as I want to go with the full K&N FIPK kit for my LT1 (since it's worth 10hp)
but I didn't want the extra dirt in my oil that K&Ns usually show. This wrap will stop more dirt
while only taking away 2% of the airflow.

Look like the solution to my problem as well. I am going to switch to a setup similar to the K&N FIPK and was wondering what I would use.

Now I just need to figure out exactly which one I need for the FIPK's filter. Is your FIPK and filter the same unit that fits the F-bodies, or is it different for the Impala?

[ October 07, 2002, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

I think a foam pre-filter is a good idea for K&N air filters considering they don't seem to filter so great.

My experience is I've been using a 14" cone K&N filter on my Grand National for years. It's a cold air system that get's a clear shot of outside air so it picks up quite a bit of debris.

Anyway, whenever I'd service the air filter and intake tract, I would always notice a dirty and oily residue on the Mass airflow sensor. I figured the oil was from the filter and the dirt was from small air leaks around connections etc. I never suspected the K&N filter as being the cause of the dirt since K&Ns past marketing always praised it excellent filtering ability
rolleyes.gif

Since the outside of the filter was always gunked with all kinds of debris, I decided to give the K&N prefiltering foam a shot. My main reasoning was for less frequent cleaning and maintenance.

After making it fit and work with my application, I was happy that I was unable to detect a difference in feel, performance or sound. Since I was using the prefilter I also used less oil on the actual filter. I carefully oiled it just enough to barely get it light pink. I also spread a thin amount of K&N oil on the inner part of foam prefilter to compensate.

But the best part was after about 10,000 or so miles I finally opened up the intake to inspect and clean and I couldn't detect a bit of dirt, dust or residue. Even with a clean cloth, I could not get a spec of dirt or oil to show up.

Point of this all being, if anyone has invested in a K&N air filter but unsure about it filtering ability, a foam prefilter might be a solution to balance the best benefits between K&Ns and good paper filters.

No problem Stuart! And just think, I only found it because I was looking on their site for oil filters, so my indecisiveness on choosing an oil filter lately, helped me find this filter wrap!
smile.gif

Maybe the foam prefilters are new to the K&N website but I bought the one I've been using in about 1995 or 1996. It looks exactly like the products on the site too. I learned about them looking through a Summit catalogue and that's where I bought it.

Mine is actually a custom cold air setup, made out of sheet aluminium. I get to pick the filter. I was considering a big paper cone, but the K&N with a wrap sounds like a winner.

-

smile.gif
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!
grin.gif
This is a fairly new item for K&N. I know it wasn't on their site a little over a year ago. Now, I've *GOTTA* get one ordered.

You da man, Patman!
worshippy.gif

K.P., did the one from summit Racing say K&N on it? Or just a red sleeve?

If they've been availble that long, I sure missed it somehow
blush.gif
- though I've only been interested in one for a few months now.

I posted this topic also on the Camaroz28.com website to try and find out which part number I would need, and all I'm getting now is people flaming me for doing extended oil change intervals!
mad.gif
I'm getting so sick of people calling me stupid because I want to do 9k oil changes. I save more money (and am not hurting anything) by doing 9k changes with oil analysis, then they do with 3k oil changes.

Stuart,

It was a actual K&N part and has the K&N printing on the red foam. It looks just like the stuff on the website Patman posted.

When I did mine back in the mid-90s I got a universal kit and made it work with my application. Recently I bought a PT cruiser(a woodie) as a dailey driver and picked up a used drop in K&N for $15. Luckily I still had the extra foam left over and it looks like I'll be able to make a 'dual stage' out of the drop in with the foam. I just have to figure out a good way to attach it.

Originally posted by Patman:
I posted this topic also on the Camaroz28.com website to try and find out which part number I would need, and all I'm getting now is people flaming me for doing extended oil change intervals!
mad.gif
I'm getting so sick of people calling me stupid because I want to do 9k oil changes. I save more money (and am not hurting anything) by doing 9k changes with oil analysis, then they do with 3k oil changes.
[/QUOTE

Same thing happen to me on some Honda board.3k or even 3000miles interval seems a habit hard to break.I think it would be easier to get people to buy something they don't need than saving money this way.They are actually buying the cheapest insurance!!!This seem to be the favorite fraze.
Enough venting.
The foam sleeve seem to be the solution for me too.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
mad.gif

LOL, I just kept shaking my head when I read that post.
rolleyes.gif

Most of the people on that board are just lemmings anyways. They just do what everyone else does without thinking to see if theres really a better way. I could easily answer 90% of the questions in LT1 tech but I dont because it either goes unapprecaited or ignored because people there only hear what they want to hear.
banghead.gif
Oh well...

Just remember you're the enligntened one
cheers.gif

It's so true! What is funny is that a lot of those guys don't even realize that I had my first LT1 back in 1996 (I bought a 95TA brand new back then) so I know all about the LT1. Yet a lot of the newbies on there think they know it all. There are still some very smart people on there, but unfortunately they are outnumbered by the numbskulls!
grin.gif

Patman, Have you considered an Accel cold airkit?
I talked to Accel today and they still make the foam filters. The tech told me that they are marketing both the foam and gauze filters. The cold air kit utilizes the foam filter. Interestingly, he tried to tell me that the Kool Blue gauze-type filters better than the foam. I think I have my doubts.

http://www.mrgasket.com/pdf/Powerfilters.pdf

I didn't even know Accel made a cold air kit with a foam filter for my car! That is awesome! Thanks for the link! Now I just need to find out who sells it for a decent price. Do you know of anyone up here I might be able to get it from? Canadian Tire used to sell a lot of Accel foam filters, but now I notice they only have a small supply. I wonder if they can special order the cold air kits?

No problem! Mopak Auto Supply in Calgary (403-277-0101) is ordering me a filter (They are doing a large order on Nov. 1). Out your way, you could try Performance Improvements. They have numerous Ont. locations. www.performanceimprovements.com
Be prepared to explain to the order jockey why you don't want an omnipotent K&N, but I'm sure you can handle that.

Performance Improvements would surely charge me a fortune! They charge $20 a quart for Redline oil!! I found that Summit sells the Accel cold air kit for under $190 US, but it's also not in stock right now. I hope they didn't stop making it! I'll ask around on the LT1 f-body message boards and see if anyone knows where I can find one cheap. I'll still end up paying more than if I bought a used K&N FIPK though, but this setup sounds like an easier way to do it.

Patman, It may be worth a phone call to give Mopak a try. In the past, I've found that they are unbeatable on certain items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back