Flushing rad out on 97 Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have owned this car for about 10 years, purchased used with about 15,000 miles on it. For about a year I was chasing a small coolant leak, it turned out to be the radiator, the top plastic piece was crack, hard to see and the only way I did find it was by using the stop leak tablets. Car has 207,000 miles on it.... original everything except brakes, and battery, and of course timing belt/water pump.

The question is I replaced both top and bottom hose when I installed the radiator, put in some prestone flush as well. I changed the coolant about 2 years ago with regular green coolant, the coolant that came out both times (this time being on the radiator replacement, and hoses)was black nasty looking stuff. I don't think I got it all out the first time, this time I have flushed the radiator about 6 times via the rad drain (not attempting the block drain) I used some tide this time as well. If this is oil where could it be coming from, or could it have been possible the old hoses were breaking down and that's where the black color was coming from. The coolant stunk like rubber as well.

Using distilled water for the last 4 flushes getting the suds out, and will refill with prestone all makes all models. This has been a trouble free car, I want to get another 150,000 out of it, so just spending a car payment on it to help things along.

Thanks, Clint

Last edited:
Tide? Suds?
shocked2.gif

Powdered or liquid?
LOL.gif

Not sure the purpose this served other than to further contaminate the cooling passages on the vehicle.

The last time I saw oil in regular green coolant the appearance was milky white.

You might want to consider replacing all hoses that coolant flows through other than those that have been recently replaced. As well do a very thorough flushing to remove all the contaminates, including the Tide.

Yes regular tide powders, I mixed it with hot water first to make a liquid out of it. Tide is just soap, I done a very good flush(7 or 8 total), and I'm not worried about and leftover contamination as I plan to change it again in about 2 months to check on the coolant, and also just to make sure I flushed the soap well. There was no milky color to it, just a black slime like with a horrible stink.

I researched well before I done the tide flush, read where several people had done this with no problems, and also got the results they were looking for.

Thanks, Clint

Black slime like stuff with a horrible stink doesn't sound like old worn out coolant. Have you check the oil or ATF/MTF to see if there is cross contamination?

If not, then I suspect some hoses are corroded, but that still shouldn't stink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back