Floor jack pinch weld adapters. Rubber? Metal? DIY?

I have hockey pucks, as well as some urethane ones that were made in a form for this.

I just use a jack, smash them and move on. The next owner won't care.
If by that you mean, I would avoid buying the vehicle, then yes I won't care since I don't own it.

On unibody vehicles in the rust belt, avoiding damage on that jacking area is pretty important. If all you have with you in the vehicle is the factory jack, where do you intend to jack it up on the roadside if you've destroyed the area where you're supposed to do it? If using a floor jack without a saddle adapter, it would be better to just pick a different spot and not jack on the pinch weld.

Might as well use *something*, even if it's just a couple little scraps of wood. Anyone with a sabre/recip saw and a scrap of plywood can even make something custom fit for a particular vehicle, unless the vehicle sits really low to the ground so there isn't enough clearance.

If by that you mean, I would avoid buying the vehicle, then yes I won't care since I don't own it.

On unibody vehicles in the rust belt, avoiding damage on that jacking area is pretty important. If all you have with you in the vehicle is the factory jack, where do you intend to jack it up on the roadside if you've destroyed the area where you're supposed to do it? If using a floor jack without a saddle adapter, it would be better to just pick a different spot and not jack on the pinch weld.

Might as well use *something*, even if it's just a couple little scraps of wood. Anyone with a sabre/recip saw and a scrap of plywood can even make something custom fit for a particular vehicle, unless the vehicle sits really low to the ground so there isn't enough clearance.
Rust is not an issue here.

^ Even so, why would you pick a spot that you observe to be unstable (if not supported properly) so that it can potentially shift once jacked up? It makes no sense to me not to pick a different spot to jack if using a floor jack w/o a puck.

^ Even so, why would you pick a spot that you observe to be unstable (if not supported properly) so that it can potentially shift once jacked up? It makes no sense to me not to pick a different spot to jack if using a floor jack w/o a puck.
It's stable enough, the jack has a rubber insert but isn't deep enough. I always use jack stands anyway. Limited lift points on small new cars.

Back