Fisker Karma plug-in hybrid broke

Status
Not open for further replies.
"...Consumer Reports has reported that with less than 200 miles on the odometer their Karma has broken down."

$107,850 Fisker Karma Flatlines During Consumer Reports Testing

33.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Merged tig1's same subject into existing thread.

Also I'll change the subject to reflect actual subject so it hopefully does not happen again...

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Fisker better refund CR's money on that one.......they also better deliver a running car next time.

That's not how CR operates, I believe. They don't request the car directly from the MFG, because if MFG knows a particular car is going to be CR tested, they may tweak it to ensure certain test outcome. CR goes undercover to dealerships and buys the cars the same way as any of us would.

I saw one in Chicago the other day. It's one of the best looking cars I've seen in person. I'd still buy one, based on looks alone.

I like the new crop of technically advanced cars. I like the technology, the capability and the promise. However,,,

I work in Aviation, on some of the most complex equipment mankind has ever produced. With stunningly complex and very well made, comformally coated "mil -spec" electronics. There is nothing "chinese" or "low grade" about these components.

Now that our company Gulfstream G550 is 8 years old, the electronics are becoming quite troublesome. They simply fail. And, they are eeeexxxpensive. What's becoming apparent is that time based replacement is becoming "normal". Capacitors dry out, resistor values change, memory cards develop glitches, sealed connectors vibrate and connections worsen, Singular functions of complex computers fail. It's a never ending list of failures.

What is clear to me, now that nearly every component has been replaced, is that we cannot expect 20 years of reliable performance from any complex system.

These new hybrid cars are no different. While new, they are quite reliable. But as they age, replacement components could tend to be expensive, difficult to source and could completely offset the fuel savings. Same goes for the battery packs. 20 years down the road, they won't be any good. That's the nature of electrochemical energy.

I'm starting to see a couple of them here and there, amazingly sexy car out on the streets, very good looking.

OTOH an S320CDI beats it in just about every way.

Still I'd buy one just for the looks.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Since when is an S-class diesel available in NA?

Other than the S350 from the 90s and before...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Since when is an S-class diesel available in NA?

Other than the S350 from the 90s and before...

Since 2011 or 12. I test drove a 2012 at the MB dealer awhile back. They sticker for about $100k-$110k. I think they are rated for like 23 around town 31 highway, but I forget now. Typical W221, but they move along pretty good with the diesel.

They are also AWD these days which is nice.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/build/class-S/model-S350BTC4#appearance

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back