Fisker just can't catch a break

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess that they could have been welding a coat rack inside the car too.

Rich people have lots of coats.

I just read on TTAC that the engine may be the cause of the fire. Apparently it is just stuffed into the engine bay with very little room for exhaust and shields, so it gets hot in there.

Fisker is also about to learn a hard lesson because they accused the owner of fraudulent actions before any investigation was even done and he lawyered up. People running Fisker sure know PR
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Battery pack doesn't have to be damaged to say that it's the car's fault.

They've got to wires away from the battery pack that can short and create a fire without the battery pack being involved...it's a simple fact of using electricity...many people heat their houses with glowing red filaments

The high voltage systems on hybrids/EVs are electrically isolated from the rest of the vehicle. The sheathing of the high voltage cables are biased to chassis ground. If a high voltage cable is pierced, it will be instantly pull directly to chassis ground, tripping the hybrid controller's isolation protection. The controller will respond by opening a number of isolation contractors, physically disconnecting the compromised cable from the battery pack and completely isolating the battery from everything on the vehicle.

If for some reason the contractors don't open (unlikely), there are also current limiting devices (fuses) that will open during excessive current draw.

A fire or damaged battery from a shorted high voltage cable would require a nearly impossible number of simultaneous faults to occur. It is not a very plausible situation.

IF it was big enough...the battery can supply whole numbers of KW without damage...it's made for it...throw a 1KW bar heater under a seat or somesuch, and see what happens.

Once the insulation fails due to the heat, the short circuit does get bigger. If the voltage is high enough, you can even get an arc though the charred remains of the insulation.

I guess that they could have been welding a coat rack inside the car too.

Rich people have lots of coats.

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
LMAO

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

The high voltage systems on hybrids/EVs are electrically isolated from the rest of the vehicle. The sheathing of the high voltage cables are biased to chassis ground. If a high voltage cable is pierced, it will be instantly pull directly to chassis ground, tripping the hybrid controller's isolation protection.

Basically this is similar to a GFCI, or what Shannow knows as an RCD, residual current device.

Yes, should be Taxpayer cant catch a break
wink.gif
guy pimps us via cronie capitolism for 500 Million

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Not many people are going to have sympathy for Fisker. He has taken $500-million in taxpayer money, and used it to develop a car that only the rich can afford, and he's building it in Europe, so its impact on employment in America is zilch.

Bad Karma is all I can say.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Yes, should be Taxpayer cant catch a break
wink.gif
guy pimps us via cronie capitolism for 500 Million

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Not many people are going to have sympathy for Fisker. He has taken $500-million in taxpayer money, and used it to develop a car that only the rich can afford, and he's building it in Europe, so its impact on employment in America is zilch.

Bad Karma is all I can say.

If you want to continue or stop money wasted due to current policies....Fiskars, $500 million; ABC battery company, (now closed) $249 million; Solyndra Solar panel (closed), $535 million...

You have a choice in a certain event that will occur next week.

Originally Posted By: carwreck

If you want to continue or stop money wasted due to current policies....Fiskars, $500 million; ABC battery company, (now closed) $249 million; Solyndra Solar panel (closed), $535 million...

You have a choice in a certain event that will occur next week.

I'll vote for someone who can do math - 3-4 failures out of 28-33 companies does not equal "about half". 10% is no where near half.

"ABC battery company, (now closed) $249 million; Solyndra Solar panel (closed)" - GM = OPEN. Osama = DEAD.

Happy now? Lets get this nice and closed up.

Quote:
I'll vote for someone who can do math - 3-4 failures out of 28-33 companies does not equal "about half

3 or 5 LOL. Lets start with the short list..
The Amonix Solar: FAIL!
Bright Source: FAIL!
Solar Trust of America: FAIL!
LSP Energy: FAIL!
Energy Conversion Devices: FAIL!
Abound Solar: FAIL!
SunPower: FAIL!
Beacon Power: FAIL!
Ecotality: FAIL!
A123 Solar: FAIL!
UniSolar: FAIL!
Azure Dynamics: FAIL!
Evergreen Solar: FAIL!
Ener1: FAIL!
The $500 million “green jobs” training boondoggle:FAIL!

So there is 14 not including Fisker and a Mickey Mouse training program and there are plenty more.
It seems other posters are not the only ones with math issues eh?
The taxpayers are on the freaking hook for all this nonsense to the tune of tens of billions. What did we get for the money?
All failed companies and a couple of cars that should have been called the Fisker Ronson and the Chevrolet Zippo.

Great one!

ROTFLMAO! It is amazing to me that more of us can't see the stupidity of expecting some politically motivated hack trying to 'select' winners in the economy.

It just doesn't work.

Note that the first thing out of every pols mouth re: the Sandy debacle is how they need to remove the regulations and rules of the government to get aid in place quicker and more efficiently!

These plug in hybrid electric cars are technological tour-de-force cars. They are not yet, appliances like the modern automobile (think Camry) . There is risk with complexity and the enormous electrical potential of these cars is a risk, like it or not.

However, like anything, these risks can be mitigated by proper design. That will take time. I'm enamored with the technology, I want one of these cars and I do hope it works out in the end.

BUT, a significant portion of my salary goes directly to a group that does as it sees fit with MY MONEY. Funding these companies is a joke AND I'M NOT OK WITH THAT. Funding research at a university, or other lab is OK, with full public dissemination of the findings. Let's let the free market decide and may the best products win.

Please keep your politics out of my automotive discussions.

I don't care who you vote for just as much as you don't care what I had for lunch today.

But just like you people, I'm going to force that knowledge on you, just to make you all feel bad about your choices in life.

I had really tasty lasagna for lunch.
I bet only one or two of you had lasagna for lunch.

Don't you wish now that you made the same choice as me?

Now, keep your political views our of car discussion threads.
Wednesday just can't come fast enough.

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back