"First Saw" advice to a younger man...

I love my mag 77. So much torque, but it would get a lot less use if i owned a battery powered saw. It's way overkill for most of what i use it for, currently, and is heavy. And takes up a lot of room on the shelf or toolbox.
Was not too impressed with a neigh ors milwaukee 18v 6.25 circ, but no comparison to other battery saw brands.

I learned about the existence of battery brand adapters here on Bitog, after I went with Ridgid 18v.

More recently got makita lawn tools and have ridgid to makita, makita to ridgid, and ridgid to ryobi adapters. The slightly increased resistance with an adapter inline, has not been noticeable.

Ive been using Ridgid batteries in Makita weedwhacker and blower Nd hedgetrimmer, but not the lawnmower, as i only have one adaPter, not 2.

My Makita baTtery to ridgid tool adapter just arrived and the male spade bit was not seated to full depth, cUsing one of thos pesky high rezistance air gaps, but easily remedied.

2 Ridgid 4.0 ah batteries and charger ofen go on sale for well below 100$., and if registered, are replaced without too much hassle.
The adaPters are numerous and range from 16 to 25$.

One cannot charge a ridgid battery in makita charger or vise versa, but there ar no issues using a ridgid battery in Makita tool.

Im thinking a milwaukee polesaw is in my future, using either ridgid or makita 18v batteries with adapter.
Dont think today's tool consumer has to be married to a single battery/tool brand system anymore.

The only thing with the battery saw for a low use person is that the amortized per cut cost is extreme, and the tool is all but guaranteed obsolete at some point.

A plug in saw will never be obsolete. Will never lose its power source. And if it was only used twice, may bring good resale value.

A battery saw? Smoke em if you’ve got ‘em.
I suspect Rigid will give you a new tool when they no longer make batteries for your existing one? Or maybe they will stick with the same battery interface forever? They gave me a new pair of li-ion batteries and a charger when one of my ni-cad drill batteries died. Kept me as a customer anyways and I doubt I'll ever buy another cordless brand again for homeowner use.

I still have 3 old black and decker tools i got in 94. A circular saw, corded jig saw, and a drill. But i have newer tools anyway. I don't expect a battery to last more than 5 years with infrequent use before degrading to a point of being frustrating to use, I'm on the 3rd year with my Makita but i make it a habit to leave the batteries at 50% when I'm done with them. My contractor went back to mostly corded tools because he was tired of constantly replacing fried batteries for tools just used in floor work. He only uses battery tools where it's a pain to have a cord and strength isn't that needed like cutting pvc pipes in the attic and some roof work.

I'm going to go against the grain and say no on a Mag 77. I love mine and it's been there and back, but it's at it's best for framing, not general purpose carpentry.

Back