First OBD scanner

Looking to buy my first scanner (thinking bluetooth). I think I narrowed it down to the OBDLINK MX+ for about $140 on Amazon vs. the Veepeak BLE or BLE+ for $25-50 on Amazon. I'm curious if anyone has tried these scanners and can provide input I'm a bit baffled as to the price differential as from what I've seen, both get good reviews. The only thing of note I've found is the OBDLINK warranty is 3 years vs. 6 months for Veepeak.

You will be better served with a handheld unit such as an Innova or similar unit in my opinion.

You will be better served with a handheld unit such as an Innova or similar unit in my opinion.
Thanks. The Innova 5610 seems to be a fine scanner but just not sure it's worth close to $300 for just using it a few times here and there. But I'm still tempted! Maybe it will go on flash sale!

Do you want it for every car you might run into or just Nissans?

I am not familiar with Nissans. Toyota, Ford, and VW all have specific aftermarket scanners that give a lot of value for the money.

A "good" ELM327 with Torque Pro can do wonders, especially if aftermarket tuners reverse engineered PIDs for your Nissan.

I agree with the torque pro recomendation. Dirt cheap. Even lets you look at misfire logs. I have found a couple misfires that weren't bad enough to throw a code or pending code using torque pro. Lets you log and all kinds of stuff. The app is like $10 plus whatever cheap dongle you buy for like another $20 max.

Only downside is it does not work on Apple. If you have Apple phone try 4-stroke. No where near as good as torque pro but does let you do logs, see freeze frames, etc.

I also agree with a handheld over the bluetooth if your going to spend real money.

I agree with the torque pro recomendation. Dirt cheap. Even lets you look at misfire logs. I have found a couple misfires that weren't bad enough to throw a code or pending code using torque pro. Lets you log and all kinds of stuff. The app is like $10 plus whatever cheap dongle you buy for like another $20 max.

Only downside is it does not work on Apple. If you have Apple phone try 4-stroke. No where near as good as torque pro but does let you do logs, see freeze frames, etc.

I also agree with a handheld over the bluetooth if your going to spend real money.
I used Torque Pro on Android, and have since switched to Car Scanner on Apple. At least at my knowledge level, it seems to be at least on par with Torque Pro.

Thanks. The Innova 5610 seems to be a fine scanner but just not sure it's worth close to $300 for just using it a few times here and there. But I'm still tempted! Maybe it will go on flash sale!
That is a fine unit and does limited bi-directional controls as well. I think it is one of the best intro level tools. I see your point on the price point. You can step down to their lower level tools and get most of the data streams and functions just with less bidirectional controls (meaning tests) and still serve you well.

Do you want it for every car you might run into or just Nissans?

I am not familiar with Nissans. Toyota, Ford, and VW all have specific aftermarket scanners that give a lot of value for the money.

A "good" ELM327 with Torque Pro can do wonders, especially if aftermarket tuners reverse engineered PIDs for your Nissan.
Thanks. Right now just for my Toyotas and Nissan. Don't see us straying from Toyota down the line.

That is a fine unit and does limited bi-directional controls as well. I think it is one of the best intro level tools. I see your point on the price point. You can step down to their lower level tools and get most of the data streams and functions just with less bidirectional controls (meaning tests) and still serve you well.
Thanks. Oddly enough, Innova says the 5510 and 5610 are the only two units they have that will read ATF temperature. I confirmed twice. I had hoped they would have a more economical choice. I'm leaning towards the OBDLink MX+ or the Veepeak BLE or BLE at this point unless another handheld wired unit comes into the picture here.

In order to get ATF temp for an upcoming fluid change on my Tundra, I bought the even cheaper Veepeak ($13.99) and use Car Scanner ELM OBD2 (mentioned above) - the free version. That Veepeak (the blue one) only talks to Android, so if you have an iPhone, you'll need the BLE or BLE+ dongle.

I'm on the Android platform so I use the blue colored Veepeak Mini Bluetooth OBDII dongle and the Torque Pro app, and I really like that I am able to have separate profiles for each vehicle I own *except for the '92 Olds 88). I really like the ability to monitor multiple sensors/systems simultaneously, and to store the data from them for offline analysis on a PC using Excel. It helped me figure out that the charcoal canister in the EVAP system was saturated with gasoline.

I also own a BlueRDriver setup, but I use the Veepeak/Torque Pro setup more often.

I got the MX+. I like it. The phone app is easy to use, and you get car specific ID's free.

Check out my prior posts for more.

Innova has sales on the 5610 through Amazon all of the time. I believe its 30% off. Go to their website and sign up for their newsletter and emails. I have this scanner and its decent.

I think for like the last 10-15 years the best recommendation for the casual DIY home person is to buy a cheapy amazon BT dongle and Torque on an android device. You have a code reader for 15$ give or take.

We all start off with that and maybe one day have the skillset to use one of those big boy $500 autels. I imagine a lot of people spend the big money on that type of tool but don't know how to use beside clearing codes.

Back