Firestone's.. good riddance!

Finally got rid of the last Firestones on our vehicles. Thought would be easier, do the alignment and all but that was far from the case. Tried several locations and none could balance correctly, and that was 4 vehicles. Don't care if I did get the lifetime alignment I probably won't go back.

Pulled off Firestone All Seasons.. didn't have a model name. Think we put them on in 19 and had 30-40k on them. Probably could of got 10k more but the wet traction was terrible, really hardened it seems. One did have a bad belt. Still vibrates somewhere 70-75 so must be a axle.

Went with Walmarts sale on Coopers. Now maybe this will be the last set lol. Only 186k but needs a complete reseal and then there's the rust. So who knows how it'll go.

IMG_2094.jpeg

Nice. Firestone tires just look crappy.
But their Destination A/T and LE2 tires generally get solid reviews. I don't understand about this balancing tires thing. Across multiple vehicles and multiple brands of tires (and multiple different tire stores) I had to go back once when one threw a weight.

Finally got rid of the last Firestones on our vehicles. Thought would be easier, do the alignment and all but that was far from the case. Tried several locations and none could balance correctly, and that was 4 vehicles. Don't care if I did get the lifetime alignment I probably won't go back.

Pulled off Firestone All Seasons.. didn't have a model name. Think we put them on in 19 and had 30-40k on them. Probably could of got 10k more but the wet traction was terrible, really hardened it seems. One did have a bad belt. Still vibrates somewhere 70-75 so must be a axle.

Went with Walmarts sale on Coopers. Now maybe this will be the last set lol. Only 186k but needs a complete reseal and then there's the rust. So who knows how it'll go.

View attachment 190137
That's generally what happens when you get down to little tread.....

But their Destination A/T and LE2 tires generally get solid reviews. I don't understand about this balancing tires thing. Across multiple vehicles and multiple brands of tires (and multiple different tire stores) I had to go back once when one threw a weight.
Yeah, I guess I was thinking their passenger car tires.

The Firestone Destination LE have been a great tire on my kid brother’s various trucks. 100,000 life (yep, not making that up), smooth ride, and, he claims, great traction in the snow. Sorry the brand didn’t work for you, but those Coopers look great and I hope they work out better.

Had tread close to the LE2 but was the passenger car tire. I have terrible luck getting tires balanced. Maybe I'm picky but I don't remember any balancing issues until the last 10 years. Only Walmart has been consistent.
That's generally what happens when you get down to little tread.....
I'd say had half the tread left.

The Firestone Destination LE have been a great tire on my kid brother’s various trucks. 100,000 life (yep, not making that up), smooth ride, and, he claims, great traction in the snow. Sorry the brand didn’t work for you, but those Coopers look great and I hope they work out better.
I don't remember those being a option, but it's been a few years. I figured this has been the 5th set of tires we've put on this since 32-36k. BFGoodrich from Sam's and factory Contentinals lasted the longest. These and Kumho's didn't last long. We only drive it around 3k a year so should be a while and the last.

My default tire brands are Nokian, Continental, and Nitto
I really don't have a default tire brand. Hard to stick with one due to sizing and availability. I do like the Bridgestone Duellers on the RV, I'd buy those for every vehicle if I could. And the white lettered Coopers. But sizing things.

Had tread close to the LE2 but was the passenger car tire. I have terrible luck getting tires balanced. Maybe I'm picky but I don't remember any balancing issues until the last 10 years. Only Walmart has been consistent.

I'd say had half the tread left.
Well....allI know when when the tread gets thin on many tires noise and traction issues ensue.

Just put Firestone Destination AT2 on my Tundra and so far im really liking them. Quiet ride nice and smooth good traction in the rain and dry. Next up will be snow whenever it happens.I spent many hours watching and reading about many brands and models trying to figure out what i wanted .

I have the same attitude when it comes to Goodyear. Either terrible tires or repeated bad luck on differing vehicles with differing model tires. I like Michelin's except for the cost. I have ended up using mostly General's for the last 7or so years and they have been pretty good but their price has moved out of the bargain range.

I have the same attitude when it comes to Goodyear. Either terrible tires or repeated bad luck on differing vehicles with differing model tires. I like Michelin's except for the cost. I have ended up using mostly General's for the last 7or so years and they have been pretty good but their price has moved out of the bargain range.
I’ve become a fan of Generals myself the past few years. Just put my second set of Grabber ATX’s on my truck, Altimax RT45’s for my daughter and last year the Altimax 365AW on my mom’s car.

Firestone and Pirelli are 2 brands I'll never put on our cars.
Pirellis tend to be short-lived, but there’s almost 60K on a set of Scorpion A/S Plus 3s that sees heavy use with about 4/32nds of meat which is pretty good for a 70K tires.

Bridgestone has somewhat revitalized the Firestone brand with a new Firehawk A/S V2 and the new Destination LE3/AT2 but they tend to want only Firestone stores to sell them.

How did you know it has a bad belt?

Recently saw a review where Firestone all-weathers scored the same overall as Nokians.

Last edited:
Back