Firestone Winterforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
A directional tire.

Rubber compound seems to be suitably soft to assist traction on ice.

A fairly "aggressive" tread to assist in biting into the snow.

Ran four of them last winter; 16-inchers on a 4x4 chevy pick-em-up with 300 pound of sand bags in the bed.

Was a relatively mild winter without any severe snow storms. Did run on snow a few times and the tires seemed to do well.

However, no matter what rolling stock I drive and whatever type of tire I use I drive sanely so do not stress my equipment, shunning running at the ragged edge.

On the whole, I believe the WinterForce is a good snow tire priced very competitively. The model is a "generic" product that can be found at firms selling Dunlop, Firestone and the other tire brands related to those two.

Oh.... there is also ample siping to accompany the larger/wider tread pattern gaps. It is obvious the tire is made for all-around use... both snow and ice. I doubt if it would do as well on ice as Blizzak but the price IS lower. And, from past experience, the more aggressive tread of the WinterForce may allow it to outperform Blizzaks and other winter tires geared towards icy road driving when the snow gets deep.

I have the WinterForces mounted on their own steel wheels, waiting to be mounted on the truck. With 3,000 miles on them last winter I see very little wear and expect to get 5 years, perhaps more, of use out of them. So far, I see no reason to not keep using them since snow/winter tires that supposedly outperform the WinterForces cost more. I forget exactly what I paid.... believe it was around $100 per tire with the cost including a used (but good condition) steel wheel for each tire. Mounting and balancing was free.

I could have saved a little going elsewhere but I'd rather pay a bit more, shop locally, and deal with a firm that does quality work and stands behind their product.

Thanks for the detailed review. I wonder how these compare to the Goodyear Ultra grip? Think I will start a new post.
smile.gif

I purchased 4 Winterforces from the Tirerack for my rwd Volvo last year. I opted not to have them studded. As a dedicated winter tire, they're certainly capable. They did instill much more confidence on snow covered roads. If they have one major drawback its the increased noise and spongy feel on dry roads. I'll be re-installing them again this coming November and I'll be missing my whisper-quiet Yokohamas all winter-long.

I prefer Bridgestone Blizzak or Dunlop M2 or M3. All that said, the German made Goodyears (including Dulnop) are my favorites. For light truck tires, Bridgestone Blizzak or Nokian. Winterforce is a Dayton line, which is Bridgestone-Firestone.

In any case, any real winter tires are soooo much better than all season or all terrain tires.

Ken

Im going to be trying the WS-50 Blizzak this year on my Camaro
smile.gif
I could never use something as luggy as the winterforce unless on a 4x4 truck

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
Anyone using this tire in the winter? Comments?

Of 12 tires tested by Consumer Reports they fell to the bottom of the list. For a winter tire they had below average snow traction and average ice traction.

The michelin X-Ice topped the ratings. The Ultra-Grip was rating excellent in snow and average on ice. However noisy.

For snow tires I've used Blizzaks, Gislaveds, Nokians, Vredesteins, Metzlers...stuuded, and studless.

The Firestone Winterforce [studded ] are in use on 6 of our vehicles, including our plow truck.

Good overall peformance, long lasting for a snow tire. Dry road performance is decent. Good value for a 2 or 3 season snow tire.

For me, snow tires have to work well in deep snow, packed snow, ice, slush, dry pavement, and rain.

The studded Nokians are better, especially the newest model with the diamond shaped eco studs. But price is a concern, so I use the Winterforce on many cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back