Fine scratches on side view mirrors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which product do you guys use to remove fine scratches from your side view mirrors?

Do you use something like Meguiar's Mirror Glaze clear plastic polish?

The mirror housings? I would use something like meguiars scratch x or ultimate compound, which are both available locally.

If it is actually the mirrors, then you can use a glass polish, though anything deep enough to catch your fingernail is probably beyond repair.

Yes, I was referring to the actual mirror lenses. I've heard about the fingernail test on YouTube. None of the scratches are deep enough to catch a fingernail. I think I might try the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze unless you guys can think of something better. Thank you for the replies.

The Mirror Glaze line is simply a line of polishes. I would try a dedicated glass polish. The best woud be Car Pro's Ceriglass. You can get it online. Otherwise a paint compound/polish like Meguiars ultimate compound would be a great choice.

Just to update this thread:

DO NOT USE PLASTIC POLISH TO REMOVE SCRATCHES FROM MIRRORS!

I learned the hard way.
frown.gif

Plastic polish is designed to remove scratches from uncoated plastic - mainly clear bare plastic. Plastic mirror lenses have a coating on the plastic to make them reflective. The plastic polish does not react with the coating the same way it reacts with bare plastic - it has a tendency to remove the coating! I am going to have to replace at least one mirror lens if not both of them. Take this information and use it to your advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back