Finally ...Rotella T6 5w40 at WalMart...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the MSDS sheet for Shell Rotella T6 5W-40....Looks like a PAO blend to me...One of the guys from shell sent it to me..

Shell Rotella T6 5W-40
MSDS# 11047
Version 1.0
Effective Date 08/31/2009
Material Safety Data Sheet According to OSHA Hazard Communication Standard, 29 CFR
1/8
Print Date 09/04/2009 MSDS_US

1. MATERIAL AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION
Material Name : Shell Rotella T6 5W-40
Uses : Engine oil.
Manufacturer/Supplier : SOPUS Products
PO BOX 4427
Houston, TX 77210-4427
USA
MSDS Request : 877-276-7285
Emergency Telephone Number
Spill Information : 877-242-7400
Health Information : 877-504-9351

2. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Blend of polyolefins and additives.
Highly refined mineral oil.

The highly refined mineral oil contains w) DMSO-extract, according to IP346.

Last edited:
Here is another section from the MSDS sheet...

9. PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
Appearance : Amber. Liquid at room temperature.
Odour : Slight hydrocarbon.
pH : Not applicable.
Initial Boiling Point and
Boiling Range
: > 280 °C / 536 °F estimated value(s)
Pour point : Typical -20 °C / -4 °F
Flash point : > 230 °C / 446 °F (COC)
Upper / lower Flammability
or Explosion limits
: Typical 1 - 10 %(V)
Auto-ignition temperature : > 320 °C / 608 °F
Vapour pressure : < 0.5 Pa at 20 °C / 68 °F (estimated value(s))
Specific gravity : Typical 0.89
Density : Typical 0.895 kg/m3
Water solubility : Negligible.
n-octanol/water partition
coefficient (log Pow)
: > 6 (based on information on similar products)
Kinematic viscosity : > 40 cSt at 40 °C / 104 °F
Vapour density (air=1) : > 1 (estimated value(s))

Last edited:
I can tell you every synthetic Shell makes has some small amount of PAO in them that they use to help the pour point of the oil. Yes, every synthetic oil they make (PP, QS, Formula Shell, etc.).

I didn't mean to imply it was a PAO oil base..Just that it has some PAO and enough by law I'd guess it can show it here. And if I understand how oils are rated and the disclosure laws, Shell does not have to disclose the exact amounts of the different oils in the base so it may be 3% or 80% and the MSDS sheet does not have to disclose the exact amounts.

Last edited:
You are correct. I know everyone on this board would like for the oil companies to list everything that is in the bottle on the back label, but that is not going to happen, ever. I know of no oil company that will give out the percentages of anything.

I've saw many times where it is not recommended to buy a blend for this very reason as you might save on the cost but the blend may have very little of the stuff you are looking for...

I found T6 5w-40 at Wally World last weekend...

I bought every jug and bottle they had!!

Going again this weekend...

Going to buy every jug and bottle they have...

25.gif

Originally Posted By: thunderchild
I found T6 5w-40 at Wally World last weekend...

I bought every jug and bottle they had!!

Going again this weekend...

Going to buy every jug and bottle they have...

25.gif

Party in MD!

That T6 Rotella sure is a big hit for Turbo, high compression and Diesel engines. With the SM rating and the add pack, no wonder the UOA's on gasoline engines are stellar. I had thought about using the Super Tech for my next OC but now I'm leaning towards the Shell Rotella T6.

Originally Posted By: Powerstroke

This topic has been discussed in detail on the street motorcycle and dodge diesel forums...Shell had to make a robust diesel oil that was more competitive with those being offered by Mobil 1 and Amsoil. Since the old formulation of Shell Rotella 5w40 T was from Group III w/hydrockracked waxes and sucked in extended oil drain capability, the NEW Shell Rotella T6 version is in fact derived from Group VI based stock, and is said to offer far better shear stability and extended oil capability and low temp flow down to -30 degrees...compared to their old formulation:

What's Group 6? ;P

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
You are correct. I know everyone on this board would like for the oil companies to list everything that is in the bottle on the back label, but that is not going to happen, ever. I know of no oil company that will give out the percentages of anything.

That's why I like my local oil supplier. They give me spec sheets on all their oils which shows percentages of base stocks, etc. But then they cater primarily to commercial fleet users and are not so tight with their information. They do like to compare their label with the big name brands and show the differences. Like the oil I am using in my semi... a 40% grp III blend they have blended to compete with the Rotella T5, except they do it considerably less cost... $9 a gallon, delivered.

I am using it in my Subaru right now but I may switch my other 2 trucks to it. Just not sure yet. They both are doing great on my new PYB and PP 5w-30 blend.

19.gif

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Quatropete keep in mind that until about a year ago maybe 2 that RTS 5W40 sold for $12 a gallon so most of use that use it used to get it for $3 a quartnot on sale at it's full price. It has only been recently that my Walmart over the last year went from $12 to $16 then to $19 a gallon for RTS.

That's hardly surprising. Simple economics really.

Price of crude on:

1/1/2010 $75.55
1/2/2009 $34.57

Happily using Rotella T6 in all my rides. The local WM seems to stay stocked up on the $19.50 gallon jugs.

Best,

I am slowly converting our whole driveway to various Rotella's as well. Already have dino 10w30 in the Jeep and my son's Chrysler. The two Chevy's will be getting T5 when I burn up the assortment of what's already on hand. Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back