Final Charge Global or Zerex HD Nitrite Free ELC?

On our farm, we don't change coolant as often as we should - so I figured we flush some systems and start using an ELC product.

I had decided on Final Charge Global, but came across Zerex Heavy Duty Nitrite Free Extended Life. The Zerex HD-NF is less expensive, and expected to last 10 years without intervention (as compared to 8 years on Final Charge Global). They meet or exceed just about all the same specs.

Is there any strong reason to use one over the other?

[Our current use case includes pre 2000 John Deere, Ford, and Kubota engines, so not many specialty requirements.]

Thank you, Chris

I took a look at this a while back, Zerex is nice in that they publish the ASTM D1384 and D2570 corrosion specs. OWI who makes Final Charge, doesn't.
The Zerex HD Nitrite Free red looks pretty solid https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...3793b338/1ef9baf8-1906-ec11-b806-48df3793b338 All the tests show well under the limits of corrosion.

I had been looking at the yellow for specs. The documentation for the Nitrite Free Red, and Yellow, look the same (I couldn't see a difference).

The SDS, however, shows a different formulation (Both have DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, but only the yellow has
DECANEDIOIC ACID, DISODIUM SALT). I just emailed Valvoline to see if they are actually the same product, or what the functional differences are.

I appreciate that Final Charge specifically lists Kubota and John Deere for use cases, but both products meet basically all the same specs across the board.

Final charge Pro series would be what I'd look at.

OWI is moving away from the traditional final charge global. As it's older and now more expensive technology. The final charge pro series is only about 2 years old now.

I can't offer any info on the Zerex but we use the FC Global by the drum at my employer. We have a mix of OTR trucks, many different brands of loaders and skid steers as well as multiple brands of forklifts. This coolant is used across the board(and mixed with every OEM coolant in our equipment).

I don't dwell on life expectancy of coolant as much as some do. When was the last time you had a vehicle run 8-10 years without a failure that resulted in the loss of coolant? I don't recall many of mine that did.

I hope that the OWI replacement is as universal as the Global product currently is. It has worked great for us.

Back