Filter size and long OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question on Filter size and long oci's. Some filters
are tiny like the one in my GM Ectotec engine. Will these filters
hold up to long oci's ?

Originally Posted By: qship1996
Not sure GM has ever knew what they were doing, period.

amen!

Originally Posted By: J_Myler
Yes they will. GM knew what they were doing when they built these motors. By the way how long is long?

By long I mean going the full distance of the oil life monitor
which is around 10000 to 12000 km (6000 to 8000 miles). These
filters seem small to me compared to the filter in my BMW.

I'm still not convinced anything should run OCI's longer 5000Kms, regardless of who builds it and what kind oil goes in it. I don't engine technology has produced a clean enough burning gasoline engine to warrant longer OCI's yet. I think GM did do a good job with the ECOTEC, their drivetrains in general seem to be improving, their suspension component quality on the other hand leaves much to be desired.

Originally Posted By: Maritime Storm
I'm still not convinced anything should run OCI's longer 5000Kms, regardless of who builds it and what kind oil goes in it. I don't engine technology has produced a clean enough burning gasoline engine to warrant longer OCI's yet. I think GM did do a good job with the ECOTEC, their drivetrains in general seem to be improving, their suspension component quality on the other hand leaves much to be desired.

Maritime Storm. The Ecotec engine is a great engine. We have
the 2.2 in a 05 Pontiac Pursuit (G5) with 109000 km on it and
the 2.4 in a new 09 Saturn Vue.

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
Originally Posted By: J_Myler
Yes they will. GM knew what they were doing when they built these motors. By the way how long is long?

By long I mean going the full distance of the oil life monitor
which is around 10000 to 12000 km (6000 to 8000 miles). These
filters seem small to me compared to the filter in my BMW.

The GM OLM takes all the guess work out of the whole process. Most things that degrade oil will load the filter. If you were driving all highway with a low warmup to driving miles ratio, then it's simple common sense that your filter is going to last longer. Warm up is the number one loading factor. Fuel and moisture can degrade the media. Those too are radically reduced with a high total miles to warm up miles ratio.

Yes, best buy something that changing the cartridge filter is a PITA.

Originally Posted By: labman

Yes, best buy something that changing the cartridge filter is a PITA.

the ecotec filter is not the smallest filter on the market. the ones on many Japanese engines are WAY smaller; the nissan V6 and mazda V6 filters are tiny compared to the ecotec, and no where near as easy to change.
GM has some great engines, some people just can't accept that fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back