Filter Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my fuel filter this morning and this is what the gas looked like in the filter. I will cut it open later this week.

004rwc.jpg

003jvl.jpg

Originally Posted By: Donald
Pour it in a glass jar and let it settle. You will see the water vs the gas. I think the gas just pulled some dirt with it as it was being dumped out.

These are pics after I poured it into the glass. I am now thinking about adding either BG44K or Techron to my gas tank. That and find a new gas station. Opinions?

009uud.jpg

005tyv.jpg

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
That is why I don't like fuel filters on vehicles that are non serviceable.

How many miles on that fuel filter ?

33K miles.

33K is a good mileage to change it.

Was is causing any problems or just time to change it?

Do you go to places with cheap gas?

Did the vehicle sit for an extended period of time? (6 months or more).

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Pour it in a glass jar and let it settle. You will see the water vs the gas. I think the gas just pulled some dirt with it as it was being dumped out.

These are pics after I poured it into the glass. I am now thinking about adding either BG44K or Techron to my gas tank. That and find a new gas station. Opinions?

009uud.jpg

005tyv.jpg

I see dirt, no water.

33K is a good mileage to change it.

Was is causing any problems or just time to change it?

Do you go to places with cheap gas?

Did the vehicle sit for an extended period of time? (6 months or more).

That gas don't look too healthy.
I had been changing it every 15K miles but after a set back in life I was not able to change it, until today. My cousins help me out A LOT!
I have been using SHELL gas only from the same station for over a year now.
Before I moved back to La. last year my truck sat for extended periods of time. (Average 2-3 months)
There were no problems. I had not been able to replace it until today.
smile.gif

With all the ethanol in the gas (in most parts of the country), there shouldn't be any trapped water because the ethanol will absorb any water with will then be burned up with the gasoline. I imagine there are still parts of the country that don't use ethanol in the gasoline, but around here gas station does.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
With all the ethanol in the gas (in most parts of the country), there shouldn't be any trapped water because the ethanol will absorb any water with will then be burned up with the gasoline. I imagine there are still parts of the country that don't use ethanol in the gasoline, but around here gas station does.

There is a label on ALL the pumps that reads;
NO MORE THAN 10% ETHANOL

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

There is a label on ALL the pumps that reads;
NO MORE THAN 10% ETHANOL

That's enough ethanol to absorb quite a bit of water in the gas if you have that issue. Of course, it's possible to get some bad gas at a station, but if you're buying Shell then I'd expect it to be less risk than some little no-name gas station.

I've used Chevron for many years, and have never had any fuel system problems. Plus, Chevron already has Techron in the gasoline, and it keeps the intake valves very clean ... they look like new after many thousands of miles. Had the intake manifold off my Z06 a year ago, and could look down in the intake ports and see the tops of the intake valves. They looked spotless, like they were brand new. Really made me know that Chevron is top tier gasoline.

IMO....it looks like rust in the fuel. Is the fuel pump and parts made from iron and steel. These parts will corrode if there is ethanol in the gasoline. Ethanol, like brake fluid, is hygroscopic and attracts water like a magnet.

IMO....its best to run a mixed blend of upper cylinder lubricant and fuel system cleaner every other or three tank fill ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back