Filter dissection: ST3593a and ST7317

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Pontius Pilate:
there is no ADBV on the 3953a... not that i can see and i just put one on 14 miles ago (93 civic), just got done changing oil in the kia and it has a blue ADBV in it... so these filters are obviously interchangable, what harm is done in using a filter with an ADBV on a car where the filter that is required doesnt use one?

OT - is there any filter that is "bigger" with more media that you can use in place of the 3593a without risking engine damage somehow? like a taller one that can be used instead

If you look in the first couple of pictures of the 3593a, the round rubber thing between the baseplate and the filter element is the adbv. And I'm sure that Honda oil filters require one. If your civic's engine is similar to mine then the filter is mounted horizontally on the backside. If there were no adbv then there would be a lot of dry starts. That would be pretty ugly.

i see... yes it mounts sideways, almost impossible to do from the top of the engine. know of any other taller filters that could be used in place? want to filter as much dirt as possible with 172k

Honda recommends pcm-a01(Filtech) or pcm-a02 (Fram) for all of their vehicles now, except for the s2000. The filter for the s2000 is the pcx-004 (Toyo Roki), and is japanese made.

quote:

The reason I used Super Tech filters initially is that they used the same media as Luberfiner HE filters. HE= High Efficiency. That and some of the Champ engineers were using it on their own cars.

STP has a better yet media.

Mobil 1 has the premium media.

Now can you tell me from the other brands you have with more sq inches of media how "good" their efficiencies are compared to Super Tech, STP, and Mobil 1?

My personal opinion is that unless you look at the premium filter in another brands line, the Super Tech has higher efficiency media. And that includes Wix, Purolator, Fram, Baldwin, Fleetguard, Donaldson, Mann, Mahle, etc.. [/QB]

So the media quality in
Mobil 1 >
STP >
SuperTech >
the standard line Purolator, Wix, Baldwin, Mann, etc.?? Is it not safe to assume that the Purolator (Premium Plus L24458) with 174 sq. in. of media is a "better" filter than a SuperTech with 98 sq. in. of media area?

quote:

More filters have been sold on the more is better routine of cutting and stretching out the media and people in engineering just laugh.

Of course the type of media makes a big difference. However, the total surface area of the media is important. When one designs a filter they will pick a media with x dirt holding characteristics then calculate a reasonable amount of media to put in the filter.

I personally do not purchase a filter based on the amount of filter media alone. However, I really doubt that the ST7317 media has more dirt holding capacity than the M1 104 which has more media than the ST. Comparing filter area can give us some info to help us pick a good filter. The ST filters have less media than almost every other brand. I do not believe that they have better media to make up for it. Am I wrong about that?

quote:

Does the M1 104 have 5 times the dirt holding capacity to justify it's cost? I highly dooubt it. In fact it would be hard to convince me that it's net benefit is even 25% greater than a 2 buck ST and I am probably givng the M1 too much credit.

I totally agree that an M1 filter is not 5 times better than an ST. However, I think it is worth the $8 price premium when used for a 7500 mile OCI.(my preferred OCI). It costs me about $1000 in gas to go 7500 miles. It costs about $75 in tire wear alone to go 7500 miles. I havent even counted depreciation, etc. So, $8 to get a better filter is a bargain.

FG,

Can you tell me what they mean by "High Efficiency" media? Good beta ratios? High dirt holding capacity?

I understand what you are saying, unfortunately every piece of new data just creates more questions for me. If M1 has the best media, why do they put more of it in the filter?

In filtration High effeciency normally refers to higher filtration effeciency or more particles of a given size being removed from the stream.

Let's say you have an effciency rate of 100 on one filter and 97 on another. If they both have the same surface area the higher effeciency filter will restrict more than the lower effecinecy filter. To compensate for this higher effecincy rates require greater surface areas to avoid restriction. A dirty filter becomes progressively more effecient until it is no longer usefull.

Being highly involved in industrial hygiene I can attest to the fact that filter life is very dependent on contaminant exposure. Some filters are rated to 8 hours yet depending on use and environment some are useless in a much shorter time and others could go many times longer.

If the filter is providing adequate filtration with minimal restriction(expressed in increased breathing resistance in this analogy) then it is doing it's job. An oil or air filter are not any different in concept than an APR used by workers as I describe, the only difference is that NIOSH sets STANDARDS to rate the performance of filters. While there is no such performance standard for automotive Air purifying filters.

I'd have to shoot ya' if I told ya'...
tongue.gif

But basicaly there is a line of filters for Cat, Cummins, Detroit, Mack..Luber-finer offered the standard filter and a "high efficiency" version.
It's just what it said, higher efficency media. Similar dirt holding capacity.

Now they offer a XL version.. extra Long Life which is an upgrade from the HE.

quote:

So the media quality in
Mobil 1 >
Baldwin,?? [/QB]

I wouldn't say so. My B2-HPG filter cost me a fortune from my baldwin dealer, and was a pain in the neck to find! I spent an hour looking for a place and driving around.

And about the quality of the media, the HPG series has synthetic fibers, unlike the conventional design Mobil. And the fit and finish is superb. Huge filter, as solid as a rock, and it is shrinkwrapped from the factory.

I wonder too, Winston. Maybe FG will confirm that the Baldwin "micro-glass" media is totally synthetic.

From the site, it would appear (on the surface, anyway) that this is true.

Descriptions : High Performance Glass Media Full-Flow Lube Spin-on (Also Used as Hydraulic or Transmission)
Contains : Anti-Drainback Valve
8 PSI Front End By-Pass Valve
Fits : Ford, Mazda, Toyota Automotive, Light-Duty Trucks; Allis Chalmers, Case, Ford, John Deere, New Holland Equipment
Replaces : Allis Chalmers 7023700-0; Case A146696; Ford B7A-6714-A, C9NN-6714-A
Thread : 3/4-16
O.D. : 3 3/4 (95.3)
Length : 5 9/32 (134.1)
I.Gskt : G381-A
Related to : B34 (Short Version)

I think suffix HPG is a blend of cellulose and synthetics.

MPG as a suffix - Maximum Performance Glass--is the straight synthetic media.

I'll verify during business hours..
tongue.gif

Just thought I'd update that I was correct with my answer above. Got confirmation from someone I know at Baldwin..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back