Figured out how to cook short ribs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's lots of BBQ places that I've tried, and I've only had ribs that I liked once. Most of the ribs I've had in restraunts the meat it oversalted and dry. To compensate they pour a gallon of nasty sauce over the ribs. I feel like I'm eating BBQ sauce with a spoon instead of tasting meat.

My sis requested ribs for the Father's Day get together, I was a little worried. I haven't had good luck with cooking at low temps for long periods on my grill. It's the generic home depot brand and the knobs are really fussy and difficult to control a constant temp. I regret not spending more money on a name brand with a higher quality regulator and control valves.

I started researching how best to cook them. Boiling them in water sounds nasty, I can't imagine how that water would look and the kitchen would smell. Baking or broiling in an oven seems to dry them out. Cooking over a grill won't cook them slow enough.

Costco had a package of TWO slabs for ~$18, and had this great Willie's Special BBQ for ~$9 for a 2 pack. These two slabs fed 10 people (we also had several other dishes, but there were a few ribs left).

Apply a THICK coat of BBQ sauce to both sides. Wrap each slab in a giant piece of foil and place in pan bones DOWN meat side UP. The foil is to make the pan clean up easy AND to trap moisture in while they're baking. Wrap pan in plastic and let marinate overnight or at least a few hours in the fridge.

Take plastic off and bake at 325F for 1 hour, flip them over and bake on the other side for 1 hour.

The meat should be deep red and "puckered" on the bone. There will be alot of juice in the pan. (preheat grill to 375F)

They're cooked at this point, but now we want to sear/grill them so they're slightly crispy on the outside. Take the slabs out of the pan and foil, brush on LIGHT coat of BBQ sauce on both sides.

Grill on medium heat (375F) for about 5-7 min on each side. Don't let the last coat of BBQ sauce burn, the smoke and char tastes nasty.

Use a giant knife to cut the slab two ribs off at a time, so people don't have to wrestle with a giant chunk of meat.

Wow they came out great. If you grab any of the bones the meat is so tender the bone will slide right out! The meat is moist and not crusty dry. The BBQ sauce FLAVOR is there, but none of the sticky gooey sauce is so your fingers and face don't get all messy. You can easily pull the bones out and use a fork to eat bite size pieces.

Next time I'm going to add a few peppers to the marinade phase to see if I can add a little kick to the meat. I think adding the peppers or hot sauce in the end won't flavor the meat, it will just burn your mouth.

Any suggestions on adding some spice without killing my poor stomach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back