Federal SS-595 no bueno

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove to work for the first time after having the Federal (Super Steel) SS-595's installed and I was actually scared with the lack of stability. I felt like I had 20* of slop in the steering, and a broken track bar in the rear. I went Back to the tire shop and ordered the Cooper Zeon RS3-A's 235/45ZR-17 94W after doing some online searching. Seems they are supposed to be very responsive with positive feedback.

I will report that the Wanli S-1063's I had previously were worlds better than the Federals. I would have exchanged the Federals for Wanli, however they are discontinued.

Stay tuned.

b_photo_1353394596846.jpg

SS-595

194609-ultrahighperformanceallseasontires-cooper-zeonrs3a.jpg

RS3-A

Wow, this sounds bad. I've had a set of 595 Evo in 17 and they were decent with good dry grip, and so-so wet weather performance. But nothing like you said, although it is a different model of tyre.

A friend of mine actually had those SS 595 on his 75, but he never mentioned they were that bad. Is it possible that tyre carcass is somehow compromised from the factory?

And then there ate Michelin, Pirelli, COnti, Bridgestone, ect. Sometimes there is a reason to buy a brand name or one of their captive brands.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
And then there ate Michelin, Pirelli, COnti, Bridgestone, ect. Sometimes there is a reason to buy a brand name or one of their captive brands.

We have enough trouble already deciding what bills we can pay, paying $900 for tires is not pheasable.

Originally Posted By: asand1
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

We have enough trouble already deciding what bills we can pay, paying $900 for tires is not pheasable.

+1. I usually try and get the cheapest name brand tires I can find after doing research. For example, 8 months ago I bought a new set of Goodgear Integrity's from amazon. I could have gone with Radar's from sears or Douglas from walmart since they were a couple dollars cheaper per tire but didn't feel comfortable doing that since those are in house brands and not much information was readily available online. I understand that the Integrity tire is on the lowest of the low for Goodyear's scale but I'd rather go with that than buying used tires like I did previously.

Originally Posted By: asand1
I had the Coopers installed this morning and I have to say they feel much better.
good to hear!

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
That Cooper model is an OEM tire on some Fords.

So I'm going to roll over and catch fire then, right? Or is that just firestomes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back