Federal HST HPs vs. Federal Punch HP's

pbm

I was looking at 9mm ammo today and noticed Federal 'Punch' 124g hollow points for $19.99 a box of 20.
Federal HST 124g hollow points were $34.99 for the box of 20. Both mentioned 'personal defense' so I'm wondering what makes the HSTs better?

In situations where we, as civilians, must defend our families, loved ones, or ourselves, it is crucial for a firearm to function reliably. In my opinion, the HST version is subjected to a more rigorous manufacturing and quality control process. However, for range practice with hollow points, opting for a less expensive option would be advisable.

HSTs are the cream of the crop. They can also be had for about $35-40 per a box of 50 if you look around.

This explains the difference very well....Thank You
It seems the PUNCH are the better deal considering they are basically just as effective as the HST.
Basically, sounds like, HST slightly older and more towards LEO/mil whereas Punch is slightly newer more towards tacticool/personal side of things.

You can get 3 boxes of 50 after shipping and tax for under a benjamin (barely). There are other good ammos out there, but at this price it cannot be beat. It's stupid consistent out of every barrel and every grain in 9mm. That consistency is hard to beat, even in other really good 9's. For 100 bucks, you get enough to shoot up (I always figure 50-100 to see how they work in your particular firearm) and have a good 50 left for loading up.

use ammoseek.com

Flip ammo is the cheapest at the moment. It's been ~that price for a while at a couple of different places but it's down to just them for out the door under a hundred.

I have no idea whether Flip will ship to New York or not.

Edit - 91.99 to me - no tax. I wish I'd bought from them when I re-upped last month. I paid tax last month....

there is a 3 box special that saves a couple of bucks

1707191535931.jpg

Last edited:
But 'lower' in what specific way is the question.

HST is premium, law enforcement, top of the line defensive ammo. It will typically have sealed bullets, sealed primers, more quality control, better low flash powders, more research and development dollars, etc. Not to say that Punch is bad, but it’s not marketed towards the top end of the spectrum and is a budget offering.

From a budgetary standpoint, never , ever buy ammo in 20 round boxes. 50 round boxes are readily available online and you’ll get the ammo cheaper per round.

But 'lower' in what specific way is the question.
I would say that any answer I give you will be open to conjecture by many who would just want to argue. What I can say for certain:

I have shot 1000's of rounds of HST in 9mm and 45, not so much for the Punch line, as I just recently heard about it, but I did purchase some in 45ACP recently, just to see if my gun liked it, and if the point of impact/grouping was any different, at 25 yards. It was not.

I did not chronograph (as I think this is dumb when it comes to a real pistol)

But subjectively, I found no difference in how the round shot, and impacted the steel target.

Physically, the HST has a nickel plated case, where the punch did not. I could see it being a nice feature for LE officers for durability, or for CC use, as the nickel would be nearly impervious to sweat and corrosion.

I suppose you are looking to purchase one or the other. I would not recommend one over the other, unless the nickel plated case would be more suitable for your needs as stated above.

If it was me, I would just stay with the HST, which I carry in my 45. Two mags of HST are with the gun when I carry it.

IMO, Use whatever your local LEO’s carrier, ask around if you know some Officers or Deputies.

Typically bonded ammunition such as Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger, or Remington Golden Saber.

I just go with the one with the coolest design on the box. Just like for motor oil.
😉
Just because of the box I bought one of these when they first came out. I went looking through my 9mm stash to see if I could find it after you posted this, I couldn't find it. I lost a box of gun stuff after I moved in 2020, didn't realize it until I went looking for something very particular (my LC9 box) last year. I so wanted to go all Rick Grimes when the zombie apocalypse hits.

1707874076867.jpg

IMO, Use whatever your local LEO’s carrier, ask around if you know some Officers or Deputies.

Typically bonded ammunition such as Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger, or Remington Golden Saber.
Ranger T was my preferred drink of choice for a bit. Local guy carried it and recommended it. I'm not as impressed with it as I once was.

Just because of the box I bought one of these when they first came out. I went looking through my 9mm stash to see if I could find it after you posted this, I couldn't find it. I lost a box of gun stuff after I moved in 2020, didn't realize it until I went looking for something very particular (my LC9 box) last year. I so wanted to go all Rick Grimes when the zombie apocalypse hits.

View attachment 203474
I always wanted a box or two of that stuff just for the novelty of it.

View attachment 203474
Well, if you’re going to go all Rick Grimes, you need to find some .357 Magnum for your Colt Python, not this little 9mm stuff…

From my foxhole based on military experience and [civilian] logistics, I have seen this:

o High consequence and very likely to be scrutinized after the fact things like issued duty ammo, once "approved" and fielded by a significant "player" will be mirrored by MANY
o It is not a must field "NOW" thing, so the approval/purchasing "Agents" will put the manufacturers / developers thru the ringer with seemingly endless testing and evaluation. The time and money this takes cannot be understated (i.e. The US Army taking 5 years+ to change from the M9 to the M17)
o Once approved and fielded head offices will be very hesitant to deviate from it. Different "Agencies/Companies" not willing or wanting to go thru the fielding/testing pain themselves will just call for the known and approved thing.
o Additionally, they quickly committed to contracts and processes locked into the approved thing (No substitutions)
o In short order, other things with multiple variables will spec this now approved thing (Again, to reduce variables) i.e. all Army testing for the new 9mm was done with the same NATO 9mm ball.... Change up the ammo and end results become possibly unknown

o Example: the HST is 100% vetted and fielded, it is a known low risk component. No way of knowing for sure, but if say the Punch ammo is 95% as effective and 99% as reliable for 20% less, the head office simply will not deviate from the known/proven.... The head office is just not willing to invest the time and $ to find out IOT save [x], they have bigger fish to fry; it's not broke and no point trying to fix it

FWIW: 9mm & .357; I have a small qty of HST I carry; I have been backfilling with Punch and Sig carry ammo to save ~20%. In a year or two It will be gone and I'll probably stick with just Punch/Sig SD. .45acp: I have a lifetime supply of Speer Gold-Dot, honestly I wish I had the $ and a 20/80 % mix of "Spec" -vs- "Probably just as good" (Maybe some day I figure out a way to trade it, more likely my kids will sell it off at a penny a round when I'm gone LOL)

Back