Favourite Tea (hot beverage, not iced)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Benito
Originally Posted By: SR5
I'm having an Australian Afternoon tea right now, It's still officially morning though. It's a great tea and a good gift when traveling overseas.

My two favorites are Assam Bold and Yorkshire Red.

The worst is a Earl Grey with milk. Yuck !!!
However Early Grey with lemon is OK, but never my first choice.

Yorkshire Gold if the water is sufficiently hard is really great.

Yes, Yorkshire Gold is a good drop.
The sort of stuff you would serve the Queen if she was dropping around for a quick cuppa.

Originally Posted By: Benito
I'm having an Australian Afternoon tea right now, It's still officially morning though. It's a great tea and a good gift when traveling overseas.

My two favorites are Assam Bold and Yorkshire Red.

The worst is a Earl Grey with milk. Yuck !!!
However Early Grey with lemon is OK, but never my first choice.

Yorkshire Gold if the water is sufficiently hard is really great.

Yes, Yorkshire Gold is a good drop.
The sort of stuff you would serve the Queen if she was dropping around for a quick cuppa.

I think it was the Red I had at the arrivals lounge at Heathrow. Someone told me the Gold was even better.

Wish I had gotten both to compare them though. Gold was awful with soft water. I added a calcite filter to my system to add back hardness to drinking water.

Pumpkin Spice Brulee Oolong tea at Teavana.

Boy this stuff is good and you can taste the chocolate in it. I first tried the samples they have in front of the store.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I like Earl Grey and Irish Breakfast and Assam Estate. I have some Darjeeling Bergamot that that is also great.

Irish Breakfast is a good drop.
Not as famous as the English Breakfast, but very much worth tracking down and trying.

A couple weeks back, my tea order from Stash in Oregon came in, with my usual favorites. I got about 100 g of Namring Estate Darjeeling and about three pounds of Double Bergamot Earl Grey. Of course, these are all loose teas. I don't buy tea bags.

Ordering Stash from the United States, even with our dollar down the toilet, is still cheaper than it is to order Stash or any other tea from any Canadian competitors, online or brick and mortar, niche or mainstream, and it's been that way back to the days I was getting Stash from old fashioned mail ordering. I've never paid a dime of shipping or duty or tax. Likely due to the amount I order each time, there are usually some goodies thrown in, like cookies, honey sticks, or samples of other teas.

And I just opened the first pound bag of the new batch of Double Bergamot. The taste of the base tea seems a little bit different, but that's no surprise, with variations from year to year. The Darjeeling seems to be closer to my last batch. The Double Bergamot has a hint of that Darjeeling flavour too it. Maybe they used the high end base stock because of a surplus.
wink.gif

I also liked the various Twinings stuff, but it's not as good as Stash, and its cost has gotten a bit high over the years. The smaller tins are the only ones that tend to be available, if any at all. After all, something has to be removed from the shelves to create room for all the idiotic K-cups and the like. Unfortunately here, that's loose tea.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I also liked the various Twinings stuff, but it's not as good as Stash, and its cost has gotten a bit high over the years. The smaller tins are the only ones that tend to be available, if any at all. After all, something has to be removed from the shelves to create room for all the idiotic K-cups and the like. Unfortunately here, that's loose tea.

Costco in Ontario sometimes has the large supply of Twinings Earl Grey Tea.

Last edited:
I tried the other day ALDI's English breakfast (their "premium" one, not the bulk buy) in teabags, and found it very very good.

Took some to work, and tried it on a few people who like a decent cuppa, and all thought it was better than the twinnings version.

I'll have to check Costco. I used to get the giant bags of Earl Grey teabags from RCWC, but then I got onto the loose tea kick and never looked back. Superstore and the like used to carry the tins, but that's cut way back. It's amazing how many brands seem to be gone. Red Rose used to have loose tea. I haven't seen that in close to twenty years.

Heh heh, I grew up on Lipton's and Constant Comment. When I first started courting MDW, her mother of Irish /English birth only used loose tea. Lately my tea is chai, just like Clevy. And he's a good guy. I use 2 tsp sugar into a paper cup from a one cupper.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back