Faulty Motorad thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I have today off, a Stant Superstat will be making a new home in my Corolla within the next few hours. I want some HEAT while driving to work!

The Stant Superstat is in, the system is burped, and it gets to full operating temp within about 5 minutes.

After thinking about this for a bit, I think I know the problem. My Corolla has the thermostat on the inlet side of the engine, which makes the bleed valve on the Motorad or any other stat with a bleed valve face the wrong direction. That means coolant will always flow past the closed thermostat. I think that's why it was taking forever to warm up.

I'm going to be putting a superstat in the Jeep in a week or 2. I've heard lots of good about them, so I'll let you guys know how it goes.

It currently has a regular Stant (looked identical to the OEM one that I pulled out), but that one went flaky after a couple months. It doesn't seem to open fully anymore, so when I'm running around backroads and basically idling along (1000 or so rpm), it starts running kinda warm (210 - 215*). The fan keeps it under 220* when stopped. If I keep the rpms up (over 1200), it cools down to where it should be (195 - 200* at highway cruise, under 210* around town).

It's a new-ish water pump, and the issue showed up after I had the cooling system drained for a radiator swap (rad capacity is fine, fan doesn't run longer than normal to cool it down), so I figure a new t-stat is worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back