Fatal crash at last Reno Air Races - all races suspended on last day

It seems like we've seen too many crashes lately. RIP to the pilots, and the Reno Air Races. They were downright epic and I'm glad to have seen them once.

Sad, and hate to see the races ending (at least in their current form and setting) this way. I am glad I got to see the races several times in their heyday, although I was also there in '11.

Found this article. The latter part is on the primary supplier for T-6 parts, and the races are mentioned. But they’ve apparently been relentless every time a country’s military retired the T-6.

He’s been to 45 countries to buy up their air force inventory. When he bought the South African air force’s supply in 1998, he ensured that Lance Aircraft would remain the chief T-6 supplier. But could he fly one? “Oh no,” he laughs. “I ain’t smart enough to be a pilot.”​

Mercy!!! not again... I was there in 94 when Ralph Twombly's AT6 Mis Behavin collided with Jerry McDonald's AT6 Big Red... When the two airplanes separated, Mis Behavin pitched up so violently that left wing snapped off... it spun in killing Ralph... Jerry McDonald struggled to regain control of Big Red after the left aileron and wingtip had separated with extensive damage to the right wing leading edge... Fortunately McDonald got the whole mess safely back on the ground...

Despite the claim the media works...

Part 1

Part 2

AT6CollisionReno2.JPG

AT6CollisionReno1.JPG

AT6CollisionReno4.JPG

Collided midair during landing?
The planes hit during the transition from the cool down lap onto base. Number 14 was on base and #6 merged into him. The #14 plane went in 600 yards from us. Thankfully it hit centered between the houses and the RVs and spectators at the fence. Two hundred feet either direction and the outcome would have been far worse. We had an unobstructed view of the impact. I sure wish it was possible to unsee things.

The #6 plane appeared intact and for a few seconds seemed to recover, flying straight and level for a few seconds. It then slowly assumed a steep bank and nose down attitude. It impacted in an open area behind the houses/trees on the other side of the road.

Ed

Back