Family Christmas Gifts - Plan or Chaos ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanting to know some systems or strategies that might be employed to take some of the chaos out of who to buy Christmas presents for in a mid to large sized family. The most common would be drawing names at the Thanksgiving gathering, but are there any others?

Put names in blank security envelopes. shuffle the envelopes and tape one envelope under every chair someone will sit at during dinner.

We started doing secret Santa gifts at Christmas. It takes away the spirit of Christmas if you're stressing about the bills and shopping...especially when it's a large family.

Only the children receive gifts from "Uncle John" during our holiday celebrations.
I make donations to charity groups and philanthropic organizations (e.g., Rotary International) serving the poor and disadvantaged in the adults' 'honor.'

Money isn't everything but it keeps the kids in touch.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Put names in blank security envelopes. shuffle the envelopes and tape one envelope under every chair someone will sit at during dinner.

never would have thought of that, but i Like it!

I kinda look at Christmas as a holiday for the kids. I remember being young and enjoying it so much. As being older, i dont need anything or want anything. I enjoy nice meals, and drinks in the family's surroundings. As adults we are more about drink, food and conversation.

My vote is to spend ur money on the young'uns. They will enjoy it the most
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I have made known for many years that any gifts addressed to me will be destroyed unopened.

Stupid. I can understand not wanting anything- as my wife and I don't celebrate, but don't be an ungracious **** about it.

I have made known for many years that any gifts addressed to me will be destroyed unopened.

174lxk.jpg

We draw for a kid 12 total in family and spend maybe $40 on them. The balance kids do their own draw and spend $10 max on two cousins. Adults don't bother much.

I just hand out a quart of wolfs head 10w-30 to everybody, even grandma. She's happy with it and rubs it on her knee joints and claims it helps.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Wanting to know some systems or strategies that might be employed to take some of the chaos out of who to buy Christmas presents for in a mid to large sized family. The most common would be drawing names at the Thanksgiving gathering, but are there any others?

I am waiting for the first person to proclaim they don't care about Christmas or about gift giving.
grin2.gif

I say everyone gets something, unless I really don't like them. The question is where to draw the line? I draw the lines at in-laws. They only get presents if they come and visit, or if we go and visit them. Gifts are definittely given to parents, uncles, aunts, cousins and nephews and nieces.

I never consult with others about gift giving. A gift should come from rthe heart, and not be based on some sensible, logic driven decision.

Last month I gave my nephew, who recently went off to college, a new Jeep Renegade as gift. That means his birthday and Christmas gifts will for some time be a little a bit more modest than they would be had he not gotten the car.

I despise the Christmas holiday. I haven't enjoyed it since I was a young child...but even then, as I think back, I recall the stress on my father and the underlying worries about money and the cost of gifts.
My girlfriend has four grown men as sons...and all of them have kids. Of course, grandma is expected to buy gifts for the entire lot (sons, wives/girlfriends, grandkids)... comes out to over a thousand dollars. Maybe even $1500. I've seen the gift buying exceed $3000 however. If she doesn't do this every year, a couple of her kids (adults) try to place guilt upon her. I hate it. I hate the holiday. And I hate what it does to her.

It is completely ridiculous that this holiday has become to most families one of "what did you get" instead of what it was SUPPOSED to represent. Personally, as an atheist myself, I am disheartened and put off by the hypocrisy that Christmas has become.

Most Americans are all about possessions and "stuff". That's about all we seem to focus on today.

Originally Posted By: BRZED

Last month I gave my nephew, who recently went off to college, a new Jeep Renegade as gift.

Hey, Uncle BRZED, how ya doin?!?

You would hurt your kid's feelings if you did that.

Andrewg,
I agree with you, no gifts are necessary.... just a family dinner.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Originally Posted By: BRZED

Last month I gave my nephew, who recently went off to college, a new Jeep Renegade as gift.

Hey, Uncle BRZED, how ya doin?!?

LOL!

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

You would hurt your kid's feelings if you did that.

Andrewg,
I agree with you, no gifts are necessary.... just a family dinner.

I know I sound like a complete "get off my lawn" kind of guy. I wish Christmas could be just as you say....a nice family dinner. It would even be fine if everybody would at the very least decide that ONE gift per person is enough. But it will never happen.

I think that gifts are secondary to Christmas. But if a person genuinely wants to give a gift out of love....that's perfectly ok. But to expect a gift or place some sort of family obligation upon another family member is just out of line.
My opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back