Fair labor price to replace struts & shocks?

It's not outrageous at all. How long it actually takes, determines how fair.

I would time it, not to bust his balls or argue at all, but just to get an idea of what the hourly labor rate turns out to be. This can be a consideration point for future repairs if it seems high, but in this case, it does not seem excessive.

As others mentioned, you're going to pay a bit for anyone else to bother to do the work instead of DIY.

It does seem high to me within the context of not paying someone else to do work I could myself. I mean that if you are cost conscious, you really, really, REALLY have to start DIY repairs once a vehicle gets past a certain age.

A good mechanic would plow through this job like nothing, Not all jobs are equal in the profit margins.

Labor guides/Estimating software exist for a reason, A customer is free to take their car elsewhere if they think I'm being unfair.....I don't know of any Shop Owner/Shop Manager that would be okay with timing one of their Mechanics as not every Mechanic is equally efficient, If I were to entertain this craziness.....I would put my slowest, Least knowledgeable guy on it.

Last edited:
A good mechanic would plow through this job like nothing, Not all jobs are equal in the profit margins.

Labor guides/Estimating software exist for a reason, A customer is free to take their car elsewhere if they think I'm being unfair.....I don't know of any Shop Owner/Shop Manager that would be okay with timing one of their Mechanics as not every Mechanic is equally efficient, If I were to entertain this craziness.....I would put my slowest, Least knowledgeable guy on it.
You have a point, but production rate is a thing. While there's book rates, there's also how many of those jobs get done in day, how long a bay is being taken up, and whether your slowest, least knowledgeable guy is saving or costing you money in lower completion rate.

I wasn't suggesting to extend the time it takes and then charge more, but rather the opposite, that this would cause loss of business whether it's the initial loss of a job due to being undercut, or loss of repeat business.

There are in fact independent mechanics out there, that just start doing a job and then bill by the hour. The result is usually a lower total cost because they have less overhead cost, though sometimes the quality of the work is not the best. Then again I could say the same about some dealer shops. Depends on the job.

Was quoted the other day from an Indy shop:
Rear shocks $217.30 parts, $192 labor, $409.30 total.

Just do it yourself, then you would be happy if it cost $1K for the job, especially aligning everything when compressing the spring.

The statement about a "good" mechanic plowing through the job, yeah until a problem bolt shows up, or he messes something up trying to speed through it, I've seen it many times.
If I was doing auto work as an independent mechanic, I would want nothing to do with brakes and suspension, too much liability.

Last edited:
I just charged a neighbor $400 to put new shocks, struts, mounts, and bump stops on a 08 bmw 3 series. Rear shocks are easy on that car though. I think your price is fair since I just work on cars in my parents driveway and don't change as much as a real shop would

Back