Factory 24 Ram 3500 Cummins 5083285AA / MO-285 Cut Open

Did my first oil change on a 2024 Ram 6.7 Cummins. Nothing super special, but it was my first time cutting open a diesel filter. These things are WAY more robust than the Motorcraft FL-500S type filter I'd been using on my old truck.

Factory Oil Fill
1,608 Miles
48 Hours
2 Regens

1715043683278.jpg

1715043721804.jpg

1715043794778.jpg

1715043829664.jpg

1715043851331.jpg

@MikeMcC if you still have the element, would you cut the paper off the ends and pull the element out flat? I would like to see how much machining metal the filter has caught. I think you'll be surprised.

Sure. I'll do it now. Do I need to squeeze it out in a vise, or is it fine as is?

Well, here it is.

1715044867586.jpg

I'm a little surprised at the lack of machining metal to be honest. We bought my wife a 2023 Honda Pilot last year, and I cut the factory filter on that one and there was a lot of little silver flakes.

Not much here. I cut it open with a sawzall, and I think those large metal flakes are from the alum core as I was cutting it.

These are very robust filters that are made by FleetGuard. They are an LF3972 with a paint job. They are very good filters but there are some upgrades. The Stratapore version is LF16035 and Donaldson makes the DBL7349 which is supposed the most efficient filter for these engines.

I'm a little surprised at the lack of machining metal to be honest.
I agree that there is little machining metal. My 6.6L Duramax had a lot more than that.

I agree that there is little machining metal. My 6.6L Duramax had a lot more than that.
That’s why they call them Dirtymax 🤣🤣🤣

On my 22’ I had carried it to the dealer to install the step bars and the grid heater relay recall at 300 miles and evidently they changed the oil also while it was in there. The oil level was about a half inch over full so I changed the filter and didn’t prefill it. The frame and bottom of the oil pan was oily and it wasn’t before. The dealer may have changed the oil and filter before you took delivery.

I gotta say it’s one of the easiest for removal and installing wondering what makes it difficult.
On my 2012 it’s a breeze.

I’ve read 2013 and up they relocated the filter and people gripe a bit about it. Haven’t slide under a newer model to check yet.

They didn’t change the location of the filter. They changed some cross members in the frame to where the filter is not accessible from the bottom. Have to go through the passenger side wheel well. I’ve got long arms and it’s a pretty good reach for me but at times I can get both hands in there. If you turn the wheels to the left it gives a good bit more room.

Back