F1 Lost Wages already a joke

We go to Vegas twice a year. We cancelled both trips this year and aren't going near it. I wonder how many others are doing the same. We are going on a winter cruise instead of our winter trip to Vegas.

No surprise here.

It will now cost them more than if they had refunded the fans entrance tickets.
Serves them right for being greedy.

I wonder if Ferrari can sue them for repairs. Probably not. In the spirit of the 10 place grid penalty, F1 will penalise Ferrari if repairing the damage to Sainz's causes an overspend on their permitted annual budget.

Saw a video this afternoon from a guy that is reporting from Las Vegas. He talked to a female fan from the UK who flew in for the practice because that was the only ticket she said she could afford. She saw 4 minutes of the practice before the session was cancelled. Talk about a total waste of money and time. I'm wondering if F1 at Las Vegas is it going to end up as a one and done situation.

I wonder if Ferrari can sue them for repairs. Probably not. In the spirit of the 10 place grid penalty, F1 will penalise Ferrari if repairing the damage to Sainz's causes an overspend on their permitted annual budget.
This sounds preposterous on the surface. But in reality is exactly what is wrong with F1 in 2023.

I mean, having a clause for damages caused by external means could possibly have some abuse or unintended consequences, certainly something like this would not be caused by the suffering team, or opposing team(s).

Saw a video this afternoon from a guy that is reporting from Las Vegas. He talked to a female fan from the UK who flew in for the practice because that was the only ticket she said she could afford. She saw 4 minutes of the practice before the session was cancelled. Talk about a total waste of money and time. I'm wondering if F1 at Las Vegas is it going to end up as a one and done situation.

I guess that after enjoying 4 minutes of exciting racing action, they gave them the heave-ho!

Not the action fans were expecting.

It will now cost them more than if they had refunded the fans entrance tickets.
I'm 99% certain nothing will come of this. I promise you, the promotors have a team of lawyers who wrote the "terms and conditions" of the ticket sale and they will have an "out" that covers them for what happened.

No surprise here.
They are asking for at least $30,000 in damages per spectator. If they win the case, 99% of those "damages" payouts will end up in lawyers pockets.

8 minutes into the first practice session, two cars seriously damaged. Chassis destroyed. Loose drain covers. Practice session canceled, officials on track for inspections.
Locals seem to be 20 to 1 against the event. There has already been a massive impact on ability to get to work on the Strip, and now the race is here, it will be worse. Taxis and Ubers are refusing to take people to the Strip, they are stuck in traffic too long.
F1 people came into town like prima donnas. Said they would pay all expenses, then went to the County to cover half of the cost later. Demanded every business along the course pay a large fee based upon their building capacity. Threatened to build walls to block the view unless the juice was paid. Ticket prices and other costs (food, lodging) were through the roof, now they are, for the most part, way down.
Comparing Vegas to backwater third world places (Sochi, Long Beach, lol) isn't that appropriate. Normal traffic flow on the main arteries where the course was being built is just too heavy to take out of service.
This race hasn't helped the tourist industry, it has hurt it. Hotels increasing their rates initially by a factor of 4 to 10 hasn't helped. Now they are giving rooms away. Everything associated with F1 forgot the adage "You can shear a sheep any number of times, but you can only skin him once."
Then the drivers were penalized for putting in a new battery after it was destroyed by the manhole cover.

To summarize this thread: F1 sucks!

Arrogance unbounded.

That’s why I stopped watching it when that narcissistic midget named Bernie Ecclestone took the helm.

I'm 99% certain nothing will come of this. I promise you, the promotors have a team of lawyers who wrote the "terms and conditions" of the ticket sale and they will have an "out" that covers them for what happened.

Winning the law suit by cheating the customers through clever terms and conditions is all very well but I thought the idea was to "sell F1" to the US public. Treating the paying customers with contempt is not doing a very good job of it. Any other form of entertainment that couldn't put on a show would have refunded the ticket price or provided tickets for the next show. The $200 voucher for the shop that will have 1000% profit margins on the merchandise is a bad joke and they only offered that to the 1 day ticket holder. The 3 day ticket holders were offered nothing.

I've been an F1 fan for 50 years but I really hope this backfires on them big time. They need a good kick up the rear end to remind them that the customer pays their wages.

Winning the law suit by cheating the customers through clever terms and conditions
I'm not defending this practice but this is the USA, home of endless, frivolous lawsuits. We can sue anyone for anything but it doesn't mean we win, but lawyers do. Every time !

The problem is not only what it does to the car, but the danger if it threw it up, and it hit the car following behind it. Granted with the HALO the driver is better protected than with the open cockpit.

But I remember when Felipe Massa got hit in the helmet from a spring that flew off Rubens Barrichello's car in front of him. It took him out for the season.

If it would have hit his visor, it would have killed him.

View attachment 188969
View attachment 188970
It's mind blowing that he wasn't killed. When I read that I was sure he was done for.

Back