F1 - 2015 United States Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: weasley
I predict that Lewis will, where he can, run interference for Nico to help achieve a Mercedes 1-2 in the drivers' championship.

Oh, I'm sure.

Mercedes would want Rosberg to beat Vettel for second in the championship, and should be able to count on Hamilton to help Rosberg.

Hamilton in the Thursday press conference, said no one's talked to him about that yet, and he doesn't think it matters much and he is going for the win... Spoken like a 3 times WC. Rosberg should take notes!

The COTA Board has sacked the CEO. Speculation is that he was weak on marketing and the poor showing during the rainy weekend was all the excuse the board needed. So the revolving door swings again.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
The COTA Board has sacked the CEO. Speculation is that he was weak on marketing and the poor showing during the rainy weekend was all the excuse the board needed. So the revolving door swings again.

So the poor guy got canned because it rained?

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar

So the poor guy got canned because it rained?

Yeah. You can guess when that happens that they are already looking for a reason.

I don't like the sounds of this for next year. Of course, F1 isn't F1 without a little crisis popping up constantly and being overblown, all the while a real problem is ignored until it's too late, as in the German Grand Prix.
wink.gif

I've said for a few years that Vegas is the only place the USGP is safe. It's the only place where private money is available.

Looks as though the State of Texas has put a knife into the back of COTA by "refiguring" the amount of money that it promised to pay for COTA to stage the F1 races. I saw some news reports last night that said Texas had not provided $5M of the $25M earlier agreed upon. This apparently happened before the race so that gives another possible indication of why the CEO got nailed.

See, there's always something, isn't there? That, in a nutshell, is why we're stuck with Bernie. He's demonstrated he can survive this baloney, and no one else is nuts enough to take his job.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
He's demonstrated he can survive this baloney, and no one else is nuts enough to take his job.

No one else will get his pay grade for that job.

That may be true, but one would have to be more nuts than Bernie to do it for less.

I have mixed emotions about the whole never ending Bernie saga. I don't begrudge Bernie any money he rakes in from Formula 1. After all, years ago he took the chance and bought the rights to it. He was going to allow any of the teams back then to buy in for $100K each. They all declined, thinking the money would be better spent on testing and development. ($100,000.00 was real money back then).

So he gambled and went it alone. Now he's a multi billionaire directly because of it, and holds monumental power in the sport. That's how fortunes, along with the powerful men who acquire and control them, are made in this world. The problem is the sport has now advanced to the point where he's not helping it. Would someone else do a better job? Maybe, maybe not. It just seems lately that all of the drama that surrounds him, is getting to be like something trumped up on, "Dancing With The Stars". The shoe doesn't fit anymore. Realistically, he's never going to give up what's his.... And I really can't blame him.

I always worry about the unintended consequences, which always seem the big problem in F1.
wink.gif

I large part of that is because they always seem to over think everything. Too many cooks in the kitchen, and all of that. Also, too many people making rules and decisions they have no business making.

Bernie has been a master of charging right on the ragged edge of what anyone would pay him to simply bring the event to town. That ragged, bleeding edge fee guarantees that whatever the opposion is to paying it will always have a strong hand to try and kill it. Bernie builds in the instability of the events.

Too many cooks in the kitchen, and all of that.

Yes, there is no shortage of that.

DeepFriar: Bernie likes to milk every even for every last dollar.
wink.gif
I don't see F1 tickets as terribly expensive, personally. However, it wouldn't be a cheap family event, and when you compare to WEC or something, F1 is ridiculously expensive.

Yep. What I have seen in my own history is that when there are large proposals put foward against (always) limited resources there are those that are "for" and then there are the "aginners". And the aginners never forget and never stop waiting for their chance to kill it. Mix "real" politics (as in Texas) with the normal bureaucratic infighting and you have a two-legged stool just waiting to fall. By being a "pig" with his fees Bernie only exacerbates that instability. I agree that tickets aren't crazy expensive so he's probably offsetting the overall "take" with the fees to keep ticket prices down. Round and round we go.

And negotiating with Bernie is not for the faint of heart, or for those who want to let politics or the like make the situation worse. He'll be in there like a vulture and pick the bones clean. People say that Bernie has helped make a lot of people rich, but that tends to require playing ball with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back