F1 - 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lewis won the last race while burning less fuel than Nico, so it could happen. Running at night in the denser air may increase fuel consumption, so we'll see if everybody finishes at speed, or if they have to conserve near the end.

Awesome race. I was flipping back and forth between the F1 race and the World T20 final on ESPN2. That was one of the most entertaining races I have seen in a long time. I was very happy to see that Mercedes let their drivers go for it without team orders, even though I am in full support of team orders.

Even though I hate the current powerplants, the show put on was spectacular. It would be nice to see the Renault powerplants making more power being a Vettel fan. Luca diMontezelmo's face was priceless when he left the track early. I think heads will be rolling at Ferrari soon.

Wow, what a race. THIS is what F1 should be about.

I was really disappointed with Button retiring with two laps to go.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Luca diMontezelmo's face was priceless when he left the track early. I think heads will be rolling at Ferrari soon.

Priceless is the word for it. Ferraris were getting passed by all the other engine makes.

I agree, it was the most exciting F1 race to watch in a very long time! Not only did we see Lewis and Nico battling hard a few times for the top spot, but guys were dicing it out further back in the pack too. I was on the edge of my seat for almost the entire race!

I couldn't believe it. I tuned in to watch Formula 1 ... and a race broke out! Congrats to Lewis ... THE KING!

Kudos to Team Mercedes for allowing their drivers to race. Think they know they have the manufacturer's championship in the bag? Or have the teams finally figured out that team orders, thought now legal, are VERY unpopular with the fans ... and the backlash defeats the purpose of competing in F1 in the first place?

Can you believe that McLaren was the lowest performer of all the Mercedes-powered cars?

Speaking of Mercedes power, when was the last time a powerplant seem to be one of the deciding factors in F1? Back in the 80s when Williams, then McLaren had Honda engines?

When the Renault turbo engines came out, they quickly made the naturally aspirated engines obsolete. The BMW engines that were based off of seasoned production blocks were also very potent. This was back in the days when a 1.8L was making well over 1,000hp in qualifying trim.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
When the Renault turbo engines came out, they quickly made the naturally aspirated engines obsolete. The BMW engines that were based off of seasoned production blocks were also very potent. This was back in the days when a 1.8L was making well over 1,000hp in qualifying trim.

Those were 1.5L engines. All the more impressive.

They also used a really toxic brew for fuel. I was reading about how drivers and mechanics would get lightheaded when the cars were turned off and fuel vapor would rise up out of the air intake.

That was a great race, the drivetrains really show which cars can hook up and which can't. Some of those repassing moves by the redbulls were amazing, hard to believe actually that there could be that much difference between cars that are close in lap times.
It's too bad Ferrari can't keep up though, I wonder what the penalty would actually be for them to mechanically improve their system now?

Many F1 fans, myself included, thought Lewis was crazy for leaving McLaren for Mercedes, and even last year when he struggled hard just to win one single race, it looked like his decision was a foolish one. But nobody thinks his decision was wrong now! It makes me wonder if he knew all along that Mercedes was going to be a dominant force under the 2014 changes?

They're improving but not enough, although they're rumored to have significant updates to the car which will be in place by Spain.

Yep, it's still early, early enough, in fact, for Red Bull to get things in order and run away with it all again, just like last year.
wink.gif

I'm wondering how much of the racing we just saw had to do with the circuit. Bahrain doesn't have those long parallel straights like Malaysia does so the cars were able to stay closer together and give us that good racing we loved so much. Agree/disagree?

The track is always a factor. Considering how difficult the cars appear to drive, I can't wait until they get to Monza, Monaco, Spa, and the other classic tracks. I'll be shocked if they can drive thru Eau Rouge without lifting.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Many F1 fans, myself included, thought Lewis was crazy for leaving McLaren for Mercedes, and even last year when he struggled hard just to win one single race, it looked like his decision was a foolish one. But nobody thinks his decision was wrong now! It makes me wonder if he knew all along that Mercedes was going to be a dominant force under the 2014 changes?

I agree. Last year was a real test of Louis Hamilton. Since he had driven his entire career with McLaren, I thought it was dicey for him to go to another team and be able to develop a car and be competitive. But the car steadily improved last year, and Louis won poles and a race, and he was able to outrun Nico Rosberg more often than not. I thought he at least proved last year that he could be effective at a team other than McLaren.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back