Extremely hard starting Honda Harmony Mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
GX140 engine. This lawnmower never had any trouble starting for the past 13 years but suddenly, it will refuse to start. After much trial an error, I believe the coil stops working when it gets hot. I removed the recoil starter and the fuel tank and cleaned area around the coil and put it back and it started on the first pull!

However, anytime I turn it off and try to restart in a minute or so, it will not start at all. I have cleaned it reasonably well but with carb cleaner but I could hose down the whole area with the garden hose.

The OEM Honda coil is priced outrageously high. It comes to about $90 including shipping! Even on ebay, OEM coil is expensive. The aftermarket ones are cheap enough that i can afford to take a chance.

To replace the coil, I will need the appropriate flat feeler gauge. How tricky is to to adjust the airgap correctly? It has two bolts.

I almost want to give it up on this mower as the engine itself has no power and drinks oil voraciously. HF re-powering should be the real choice here but that might involve lot more hacking that I might be capable of. So, for the time being, it will be the cheap ebay coil.

Anybody wants me to talk out of ordering the coil?

From what you describe it sounds like a bad coil. And for $90 it's not worth fixing IMO. I'd ask someone that works on mowers if they had a used one to sell. As far as replacing one it's pretty simple just use a business card instead of a feeler gauge.

It's not hard to do at all but you don't want to just "sight" it in. You could get it too far or too near which would result in a poorly running motor or a motor that keeps backfiring and busting your sheer pin.

I use an old piece of microfilm, folded over once. Sets 'em perfect every time.

If it's drinking oil, time for a new one. If you could find a coil either cheap or even free, (like a neighbor throwing out a similar mower), it might be worth a shot to get another season out of it. Otherwise, I'd be shopping for a different mower.

The composite deck has cracked at many places but I am going to gamble $10 on the ebay coil. The order is in and it is being shipped from US source, so I should have it before the next weekend.

Thanks for the business card tip! I just measured a business card using the electronic vernier caliper gauge and it is exactly 0.40mm. That just happens to be the specification listed in the mower service manual.

I would also like to use this opportunity to purchase spark tester and a inductive pickup which can tell if the coil is firing without having to remove anything. Are they priced cheap enough?

Last edited:
My Toro (Briggs EZ-Start engine) developed same problem last year, wouldn't restart when hot, and it turned out to be the automatic choke mechanism.

Originally Posted By: spackard
One of these Hioki 3120 inductive A/C detectors works well (has audible and visual alert), and you can use it for house wiring when you're not using it on the mower.
http://www.amazon.com/Hioki-3120-Audible...6038&sr=1-1

That looks like a great gadget but how would I test the spark presence on the lawnmower with it? Does it come with a contraption to hang on to the spark plug boot? Otherwise, this looks like a two person job to diagnosis a no spark condition.

Originally Posted By: crainholio
My Toro (Briggs EZ-Start engine) developed same problem last year, wouldn't restart when hot, and it turned out to be the automatic choke mechanism.

Fortunately, mine has manual choke and I have verified no-spark condition when it does not start.

I unearthed old Craftsman timing gun but the inductive pick could not fit in on the wire

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: spackard
One of these Hioki 3120 inductive A/C detectors works well (has audible and visual alert), and you can use it for house wiring when you're not using it on the mower.
http://www.amazon.com/Hioki-3120-Audible...6038&sr=1-1

That looks like a great gadget but how would I test the spark presence on the lawnmower with it? Does it come with a contraption to hang on to the spark plug boot? Otherwise, this looks like a two person job to diagnosis a no spark condition.

A piece of electrical tape should hold its snout onto the plug wire. You might try a fine insulated wire, a few turns wrapped around its snout and a few turns around the plug tip. Perfect the method when its cold and running, then reattach when hot and its cut out.

I ordered this cheap one for the time being; not exactly the fancy gizmo that I really want but should work for the purposes.

$T2eC16VHJF0E9nmFRpcJBRLs)zhQQ!~~60_35.JPG

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I ordered this cheap one for the time being; not exactly the fancy gizmo that I really want but should work for the purposes.

$T2eC16VHJF0E9nmFRpcJBRLs)zhQQ!~~60_35.JPG

Can someone tell me how these spark testers work. How does it show you have a spark?

I'm sure it tells you on the package but here you go anyway.
1) Remove spark plug wire from spark plug.
2)Attach spark plug wire from tester to spark plug on mower.
3)Attach metal rod from tester to spark plug wire on mower.
4)Pull cord on mower and look for the light to appear.

Can test spark easy enough with the spark plug connected and just laying on the head... The old timers used this method with a test plug and gap opened to something like .125", if spark jumps ignition is OK... Usually they had some type of clamp on the plug to secure it to the block or head while testing...

Originally Posted By: Warstud

4)Pull cord on mower and look for the light to appear.

This is the magic part i do not understand. Are you looking for a little spark to jump a gap in the plastic housing? or is the tester filled with some kind of gas like neon that flashes brightly with each spark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back