Extreme newbie Honda power steering fluid question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like a lot of folks, I have neglected to replace the power steering fluid in my Honda vehicles. I would like to use a hand pump or turkey baster to perform drain/fills of the power steering reservoir, but have the ultimate newbie question.

The power steering reservoir on my wife's '06 Pilot (57K miles) and my '07 Civic (10K miles) has a cover that somewhat resembles the cover on the brake fluid reservoir. On top of this cover is a red cap that is about 1" in diameter. Do I need to remove the entire cover, or just the red cap to service the power steering fluid? Thanks for your replies and try not to laugh at me too hard.

You just remove the red cap.

I just the turkey baster method.

I attached a 3/8" fuel hose on the end of the baster, then I put a 3/8" steel line inside the hose, the steel line is small enough to reach inside the resevoir.

Good idea on the fuel hose. I've only drawn fluid out once, for a UOA on the PS fluid when my 07 Civic's power steering pump was being replaced under warranty, but I didn't draw much out. I just used a baster on its own and it was kind of a PITA to keep the fluid from spilling on the way out.

Lyondellic: are you actually going to change the Civic's fluid after only 10k miles, or just the Pilot's?

Why wait till 100,000 miles? That fluid will be cooked and full of shavings.

What I like to do is empty the reservoir by a baster and refill with fresh fluid at each oil change. This keeps the fluid within spec and fairly clean to lubricate the power steering pump.

Last edited:
100,000 miles?
Why not 200,000 miles?
I like frequent changes with the turkey baster of the PS system.
At every oil change is great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back