External Spin on/off Filter selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the process of finishing my street/strip/tow car. The tranny cost me a pretty penny and I am a firm believer of filtration. I cant seem to find a spin on spin off filter that would filter in the 5-10 micron area. Anyone done a modification like this or have any filter recommendations?

I thought about using a bypass filter to get me in the 2 micron range but that just might be overkill. I would also have to weld in a bung for a return line to the pan.

I will be taking fluid from the cooler lines. The tranny is a 4l60e.

Thanks in advance

You want a tranny filter?

You have to to run several in parallel mode if you want that fine of a filter and no back pressure.

Have you looked at Summit Racing?

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-...smission+filter

you might have to find a filter from a wix or hastings catalog that has the same threads but better filtration. I know someone on this board knows all that, but I can't remember their name.

The Harley Twincam oil filter is 5 microns its a chrome spin on oil filter, you can get a black one too. maybe it will work for your application. From the factory only..

Just a remote filter set up in the return plumbing will separate particles before it returns to the sump.

It will add life on to the pan filter. B&M has kits for about $40

Sorry about that. Epic subject fail on my part. I forgot to add for transmission .Yes I am looking for an external tranny filter.

From what I have read the pan filter's run in the 100 micron range. With the abuse I plan to give this thing I want to preserve it for as long as I can. Did a google search and came up with this thread. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1426114

I am researching the filters listed right now.

For the price of the kits, I am just going to pick up a remote housing and a sutable filter to fit its threads. All my plumbing is SS AN lines. I have no use for the whole "kit" Unless I can find the Micron rating of the stubby DERALE 13092 filter I am going to seek out another.

I am worried about back pressure. I have read that the return from the coolers is used to lube and cool parts in the tranny. Its not just dumped into the pan. The potential back pressure/pressure drop issue is what is making me lean towards a bypass filter. Set up so that it dumps back into the pan. That way I can get the 5-10 micron filtration (If I can find a filter) and not worry about back pressure or a pressure drop.

Thanks for the reply's!

Actually, if I were to use a engine oil filter, with a bypass valve. If the filter were to clog or limit flow, the filter would bypass and allow for full flow. Thus eliminating any potential flow issues.

Sound right my fellow oil enthusiasts?

Originally Posted By: 95ImpySS
So far I figure that the bypass valve will allow full flow if there is restriction.

Hard to say if any filter's bypass valve will allow full oil flow if it opens up. My gut feel is that there will be some reduced flow, but there will still probably be enough to keep an engine alive at low RPM use. Doubt any filter is going to give enough flow just through the bypass valve at high RPM.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: 95ImpySS
So far I figure that the bypass valve will allow full flow if there is restriction.

Hard to say if any filter's bypass valve will allow full oil flow if it opens up. My gut feel is that there will be some reduced flow, but there will still probably be enough to keep an engine alive at low RPM use. Doubt any filter is going to give enough flow just through the bypass valve at high RPM.

A bypass valve opens after a certain amount of pressure is reached. Engine oil pressure may be higher than transmission cooling line pressure.

I think there is a filter catalog somewhere online that lists all filter specifications: Thread size, filtration micron size, filter area, back pressure, etc. It is from a large filter manufacturer, not specifically engine oil filters. They also have hydraulic oil filter info.

to the original poster

here is some filter info
http://www.mcmaster.com/#hydraulic-filters/=g7dlok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back