Expedition problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Looks like normal moisture condensation that tends to happen during winter because the engine does not stay at temp long enough to burn it off.

This is very good news.

In light of the new video, could it perhaps still be an exhaust manifold? (The exhaust DID take a beating with my Rims On The Ground journey, and now rattles.) Speculation...

Originally Posted By: cjcride
It's common in cold climates like Canada & Northern States. If you drive a lot you get less.
It's a moisture and oil 'milkshake'.

thumbsup2.gif
I was aware of this.. I just thought it burned off "a lot easier." (though is has been SUPER cold here.. not like Maine or north of the border, but still, air from there.. very cold. And, thinking that it went away when an engine warms fully.. just thinking out loud here. But I hear what you are saying)

A few days ago, I was panicked, thinking...

1. Rod Knock
2. Shoot out the spark plug
3. Degradation of engine from coil neglect. (Yes, BITOG mentioned.)

Now... I am thinking, and.. what if it really IS an exhaust manifold. ?

Well... Tomorrow, it is getting:

- New #4 Coil...
- 8 new Autolite AAP103 spark plugs...
- A general go-over...
- An oil change, with filter... regular conventional 5W-20 until we get this sorted out...

I am really happy that those two pics may not be a HEAD GASKET. (And the coolant looks like dehydrated dirty urine. I have no idea when it was changed last. Maybe I should pick up an Extended Life Prestone, and an 88-cent gallon of Distilled Water. Since I have a feeling it's coming out, tomorrow...)

Verbatim thoughts, and production just started back up, but. Any and all input along the lines of what this could be is welcome...

Thank you... and I feel that this is going well.. this discussion... Thank you..

It sounds like a sticky lifter to me. I've seen a guy quiet his noisy lifter with a bottle of MMO. I didn't think it would work, but he poured it in the oil and let it idle for a half hour. It was quite after that. The only other option is to take the motor apart and replace them all. I doub't you want to do that.,,

Welcome back.

Already gave you my
49.gif
on the noise in the previous thread

For the coolant, IIRC, my Expedition held something like 27 Quarts. It was a 4WD 5.4 with tow package. So a jug of Prestone and a gallon of distilled water is about a third of what you might need. Check your OM and see what capacity is on your truck, might be much smaller than mine was. Also, a radiator drain gets only some of the coolant out. Either flush with water or drain the block.

Finally, read all the replies on your wheel stud question thread...very interesting!

Welcome back.
25.gif

Moisture on oil cap, normal.

Noise? I'd like to hear it fully warmed up and revving from idle to 3k RPM and back to idle. Exhaust manifolds with cracks have a tendency to expand when warm and quiet down.

Is that a 12/2016 safety inspection sticker you pointed out, or emissions?

Why not run the motorcraft plugs that can be had for cheaper? We went through that already.

Who is doing the work tomorrow? Your $450 special guy? What will happen if one of the plugs is seized or messed up?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I thought you paid someone $450 last week to have it all fixed? What happened with that?

That's tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Why not run the motorcraft plugs that can be had for cheaper? We went through that already.

The reason the Autolite plugs were purchased and not the MOtorcraft was only to do with the inventory available at the time. The coil is from BWD.

Quote:

Who is doing the work tomorrow? Your $450 special guy? What will happen if one of the plugs is seized or messed up?

Yes, that is still on.

I am trying to determine if the head needs to come off at all.. if it is not a "rod knock." Seems like I am getting all 8 plugs changed, that coil changed, new oil change, new filter (it was time, anyway...) - "What happens if one is seized?" ... Though I would hope "Heli-core," I really hope that that doesn't happen. First-time dealing with this individual. (I am aware that an engine rebuild is an easy ~$2000 worth of work.)

A user here wants to hear it "Fully warmed, revved to 3k RPM." The video I posted was fully warmed.. I will incorporate the 3k RPM part. After work today.

I am starting to want to steer the "special repair" away from opening up the engine, IF that noise is not a Rod Knock.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
It sounds like a sticky lifter to me. I've seen a guy quiet his noisy lifter with a bottle of MMO. I didn't think it would work, but he poured it in the oil and let it idle for a half hour. It was quite after that. The only other option is to take the motor apart and replace them all. I doub't you want to do that.,,

Motor flush?

I can buy it after work, change the oil, then go to work...

My work schedule is 3PM, then work Amazon 5PM-9PM, then 10PM-2PM, then other job 6AM-4PM. Then I have Monday night off.

Hmmm...

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Welcome back.
25.gif

Moisture on oil cap, normal.

Noise? I'd like to hear it fully warmed up and revving from idle to 3k RPM and back to idle. Exhaust manifolds with cracks have a tendency to expand when warm and quiet down.

Is that a 12/2016 safety inspection sticker you pointed out, or emissions?

It is a valid NJ State Inspection Sticker. Got it from Secaucus DMV. Same as the Blazer. (*Before I messed with the timing, on that one. So... valid sticker, messed up engine. Oil mix with gas, etc. Am item for another day.. or this "wonder mechanic." Cuban..)

And that "Rattle..." Would it by any chance sound like a Krylon Spray Paint can, then kind of gurgle/backfire as it comes down, if it was that?

*not quite like this, but:

Originally Posted By: yeti
WELCOME BACK, 'prone!
re:eek:il cap -- from time to time, a resident-of-Italy tune-up will take care of that.AFTER the vehicle is fixed.
have a good day.

What about the Magic Beans?

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
WELCOME BACK, 'prone!
re:eek:il cap -- from time to time, a resident-of-Italy tune-up will take care of that.AFTER the vehicle is fixed.
have a good day.

I thought that was the reason that you were gone for a while -- you went to seek out a place to buy magic beans. I guess I was wrong.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
WELCOME BACK, 'prone!
have a good day.

I thought that was the reason that you were gone for a while -- you went to seek out a place to buy magic beans. I guess I was wrong.

crackmeup2.gif

If they are from Ferrara, I got some ...

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
It not a rod knock, does the noise go away or get a lot better when hot?

This is the thing that I am thinking. When the engine is cold, it is either barely noticeable, or I cannot hear it. (I will need to film when coming out of work tonight at 2AM.) It really is hard to hear, or, more accurately.. I do not hear it at all. The thing that gets me is: If it was rod knock, would it do it at all temperatures of engine?

I actually am afraid of rod knock. My Blazer had a pronounced case of it, in 2013. That engine went away. Still driving, still rod knocking.. eventually seized up "two cylinders." Engine never ran right after that. Gone. Got another engine. It had: ... Rod knock. (Then there was the engine from Minnesota that sounded like a dump truck. Then the engine from West Virginia. They all had a rod a-knockin'. And no oil pressure.......)

Now, why do I have *perfect* oil pressure --- actually, scratch that.. I would never know, since Ford makes an idiot light with a gauge. Changes not, from RP 0W-20 to a straight-30. At all....

I am honestly starting to think it may be something else.

Though when I take it up to 3k, it sounds worser. I will have to wait until ~3pm to get you that, since I am focusing on video more focused on the problem.. more business-like, if you will. Maybe even show the dash in it, to show RPM as well. (Yup, still low on wiper fluid. Maybe a good thing.. if that tank is coming out. Coolant looks like old urine in dirt.)

I can tell you, that, when I drove the 20 or 30 miles or so on the rim.. that.. after tire replacement, I hear a "rattle" noise, when cold, FROM THE EXHAUST IS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO ME (RATTLING MUFFLER) That kinda goes away, when hot.. except when parked and in drive and not moving. So. MAYBE the manifold is it... And it has not yet launched a spark plug.. though I have 8 replacement, and suspect coil, ready to change...

Again: This video taken after trip from Newark to Linden. 20 minute or so trip. Engine full warm.. at idle.. no revving.

1999, 5.4L.

I also have one full can of Seafoam in my room, as well as a half quart of ATF... and two quarts of new 5W-30 oil in there. Could those things help? Truck has "4" trips to make tonight...

Still leaning towards manifold. If it was rod knock, it would have blown up by now.

But get the plugs changed along with the coil to get rid of the misfire and to be certain that this isn't a loose plug.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back