Exhaust Gas Recirculation Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '04 LLY Duramax engine uses EGR even though it is a federal emmisions truck.

A lot of guys are disconnecting, blocking off, etc., but this is opening up a huge can of worms because then you get into warranty hassles and engine diagnostic codes. Also, some are reporting poor fuel milage, hard starting, and other engine problems with EGR purposely not functioning.

My main concern is over excess soot in the engine and the problems this is going to cause in the long run.

What would you suggest? Will I still be able to use extended oil drains?

quote:

Originally posted by coyotekid:
...some are reporting poor fuel milage...with EGR purposely not functioning.

Not surprising if the appropriate changes aren't made in the ECM/ECU to compensate for the change in combustion gas composition. Maybe there's and "off-road" kit that provides the proper compensation?

How long do you want to extend oil drains? In any case, to safely extend oil drains you need oil analysis to protect your warranty, so you'll know how the oil is doing.

I haven't heard of any problems with the EGR on pickup diesels. The 2002 EGR setup on heavy truck engines is a problem requiring oil drains at about half the normal interval...7000 instead of 15,000 in one case I know of.

A bypass oil filter will remove much of this soot, but oil analyses are still required to protect your warranty. The dispersants in oil attempt to keep the soot in sub-micron particles which are often too small to filter out even with a bypass filter. It is when the soot particles agglomerate into larger, abrasive particles that real problems begin.

Ken

"A bypass oil filter will remove much of this soot, but oil analyses are still required to protect your warranty. The dispersants in oil attempt to keep the soot in sub-micron particles which are often too small to filter out even with a bypass filter. It is when the soot particles agglomerate into larger, abrasive particles that real problems begin."

But when the soot particles agglomerate will not the bypass filters (3 microns or less) then filter them out?

ie they are too small fot the bypass filters to filter them out, then they grow to larger particles then big enough for the bypass filter to filter them out.

Bob Weis

quote:

Originally posted by RWeis:
But when the soot particles agglomerate will not the bypass filters (3 microns or less) then filter them out?

ie they are too small fot the bypass filters to filter them out, then they grow to larger particles then big enough for the bypass filter to filter them out.

Bob Weis

Exactly.

Also using an oil that is capable of holding larger amounts of soot in suspension without excessive wear or oil thickening.

I've seen soot numbers as high as 8% (In a heavily modded TDI) with no thickening or excessive wear.

Amsoil AME was the oil in that case.

When more of these diesels come out, Oil manufactures are going to have to step up to the Plate.

quote:

Originally posted by coyotekid:
A lot of guys are disconnecting, blocking off, etc., but this is opening up a huge can of worms because then you get into warranty hassles and engine diagnostic codes. Also, some are reporting poor fuel milage, hard starting, and other engine problems with EGR purposely not functioning.

My main concern is over excess soot in the engine and the problems this is going to cause in the long run.

What would you suggest? Will I still be able to use extended oil drains?

Go check out the TDIclub.com. There are lots of folks running extended drains with EGR. The biggest problem with the TDI is buildup inside the intake. This has to be cleaned periodically for optimum performance.

You will also see less soot by running a high grade of Fuel or brining up your cetane level.

I consistantly run Amsoil cetane boost in our TDI as well as Diesel Fuel Concentrate(cleaner and lube) for best performance.

I think walmart sells a fuel supplement that already has the cetane booster in it.

Not that I'm suggesting that you do this......but why don't you disconnect the EGR for "off road purposes" so you can keep all of that nasty crap out of your intake. You could also look on Ebay for a replacement EGR valve for your truck and have that one plugged up on top of the engine while the one that is in your engine block is UNPLUGGED. Naturally this "test" would be for "off road purposes".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back