Everest TV show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone been watching that show on Discovery the past couple months? Final episode was tonight. One of the best TV shows I've ever seen. It basically followed the 2006 Everest climbing season with the most renowned Everest guide.

Pretty crazy stuff! The mountain has over 200 dead bodies just chillin there right next to the route, along with tons and tons (literally!) of garbage/oxygen bottles scattered everywhere.

The whole notion of climbing the highest mountain on Earth to me is incredibly appealing, yet morbidly stupid. It's a paradox, that's for sure. It's become way to "modern day" commercialized and yuppyized. I know it's kinda hard to do trash and dead body duty at 29,000 feet on a knife edge ridge. Wonder what it'll look like in 50 years.
crushedcar.gif

hill-Tibet_Mt_Everest_from_Base_Camp_Tibet.jpg

If you can carry the #@$%! up the hill, then you can carry it back down.

Dead bodies are another thing...leave them there as a memorial, or charge every climber an access fee for clean-up after them ?

I saw the Everest Imax. Sad and incredible story.

Anyone climbing without oxygen must have a huge VO2 max.

The Sherpas are true freaks of nature. I'd love to have their lungs when I'm riding my bike.

I totally get the desire to climb Everest, but I'll sure never try it. I wonder if the climbers suffer from depression after making the summit on Everest. I mean, what else is there to conquer after climbing Everest?

K2, 2nd highest point on Earth and widely regarded as the hardest climb as well. Everest is a hiking trip compared to K2.

054_K2.jpg

I saw the last episode and it looked quite unpleasant. I can understand a "hike" or a "climb" to the point of "adventure", but it's another example of something done in moderation has the most overall appeal.

I missed the final episode--what happened to big Tim and the other guy who were refusing to turn back despite pleas from everyone to do so?

One of the guys coming down from the top convinced both of them to turn around. They made it back, but the French guy lost the tips of all his fingers to frostbite.

I thought Big Tim was a major dip #@$%!, with is attitude and all with Russel. Russel gave him WAAAAY too much leeway to turn around. After the third try, I would have said, alrighty, Sherpas are headin home buddy. Have a nice life stranded at 28,000 feet. He was still angry at Russ for making him turn around and he could barely even make it back to camp turning around where he did!

I loved it when he said he's coming back next year; with Phurba next to his side. Purhba looked at him and the camera like
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
NOT A CHANCE!

Really showed the difference in available strength in human beings. A few of the guys maxed out at about 24,000 feet; another guy made it with no freakin legs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back