EVEN THOUGH the '0' flow facility isn't nearly....

Status
Not open for further replies.
.....as critical during spring/summer weather and, since GC is a heavier 30-weight, there should be NO reason, whatsoever, not to use it during the summer, correct?? (Vehicle is a Jeep Cherokee, off-road modded, with the venerable 4.0 I-6. Manual calls for 10W-30 for summer temp range.) I've read the posts re viscosity, 5W v. 10W, etc., etc....and, the ones extolling the virtues of a xW-40 for summer... JUST seek a bit of reassurance, as one who long used 10W-40 for summer!

Thanks!!

Use it without worry. GC won't break-down in summer heat as would "lesser" oils. I use it in my Jeep 4.7L V8 that calls for 5w30 year-round. And I offroad mine too. Most of the offroading of the rock climbing, trail-riding varied shouldn't be too hard on oil or any other lubricate for that matter. If camping over night I usually do try to drive around on access roads or whatever for 20-30 minutes to warm-up the engine oil and all the oils in the drivetrain before I hit the trails and expect them to perform at their best. Chris

The 0w designation tends to scare a lot of people away from using this oil in the summer but in reality this oil's viscosity at 40c and 100c is very close to most 10w40s. Use it with confidence no matter how hot it gets in your area.

Well.........I THOUGHT it was too good to be true....when the Auto Zone staffer (SHE) told me that they expected 0W-30 Castrol in and it should be in the truck being unloaded theother day.... No dice. Mistake.

I have RP, and likely Amsoil, available locally, so will likely go with one of those given that most info. seems to indicate that they are as good as GC. Viscosity choice is still an issue. I like the fact that GC is a heavier 30... Can anyone confirm whether or not the RP or Amsoil xW-30 oils are similer? {I've read the 5W vs. 10W threads....and will throw the dice there....

Thanks for the input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back