European pickup trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Number21
Originally Posted By: expat
I lived in the U.K for many years, and I can honestly say I never owned a pallet!

You're missing the point. It's just a trivial little product of life I have to move around. Look how quickly they fill up my truck. I couldn't put even one in a car. Surely there are items like that in Europe. Maybe everything gets delivered over there but it's still easier to just do it yourself.

http://inhabitat.com/ikea-debuts-bike-trailers-in-denmark/ikeatrailer2/
grin.gif

Last edited:
Europe knows vans haul way better than trucks and don't need the big truck image to feel good about themselves.

Nearly the entire world gets on just fine without the full size american pickup truck. Then again, they have cool midsize and compact diesel trucks and vans to drive.

USA needs to lose the van stigma and gain some world equivalent compact and midsize trucks. I love trucks as much as the next guy but if you really need to move a lot of bulky stuff around nothing beats a cargo van.

Funny how we have the largest market yet what seems like the worst selection of vehicles. Well, used to, eventually China and perhaps India will surpass our market. Actually, once they start buying in droves, I bet that will drive up fuel prices, and then we might see some increased selection, albeit with the "loss" of the fullsized versions.

I would probably have bought a RWD minivan instead of my truck, had it been offered. No image problems here.

I think image has a HUGE amount to do with it.

I remember when Pick Up trucks were very agricultural, the cool guys had a Van (passion wagon) or a Station wagon (Griswold)

Then the Mini Van became popular until it became associated with Soccer moms.

Now, what's a guy to do to show his virility?

Enter the Macho Truck.

Last week I went to my city mulch and compost yard and loaded up roughly 1/2 ton of compost for my wifes garden. I pulled up to the huge compost pile and a guy in a loader got a scoop of compost and pulled up along side of my truck and dumped the compost into the bed of my truck until I gave him the thumbs up. I then drove to the scales, weighed, payed $10.00 and left. It took all of 10 minutes. Drove home and spread the compost on the garden, swept the truck bed out, all from the ground without having to climb into the bed of my truck. I could have hooked my trailer up to my wifes car and and done the job but why would I? The height of my truck made it comfortable for such a job without having to bend over and shovel the compost from my trailer. Having said that, the trailer has it's place as when I want to haul lawn equipment, I can just drive onto the trailer. The right tool for the right job! As far as virility goes... I'm sure that I ooze testerone when I'm driving my 18 year old 165,000 mile truck! Whats the NRA slogan? "From my cold dead hands!!!"

I think image has a HUGE amount to do with it.

I remember when Pick Up trucks were very agricultural, the cool guys had a Van (passion wagon) or a Station wagon (Griswold)

Then the Mini Van became popular until it became associated with Soccer moms.

Now, what's a guy to do to show his virility?

Enter the Macho Truck.

Things are changing. 10 years ago Hummers were the coolest things on the block. Now the rage is about Tesla cars.

As I said, I don't have an image problem, I just want a station wagon of old. They don't make them anymore, and we don't get those vehicles that Europe gets. So what is one to buy?

There are a few BMW and Mercedes full size wagons in the used market, but I don't have the balls to actually buy one. They all seem to need premium as well, don't have great mileage and could be a money pit of European proportions.
Anyways, in the short term, I would tow a small 1000-1200lb tent trailer with the Focus and just take my time. 1000's of Foci in europe tow more with a smaller engine.

Originally Posted By: Number21
I lived in the U.K for many years, and I can honestly say I never owned a pallet!

You're missing the point. It's just a trivial little product of life I have to move around. Look how quickly they fill up my truck. I couldn't put even one in a car. Surely there are items like that in Europe. Maybe everything gets delivered over there but it's still easier to just do it yourself.

I really feel sorry for other people, often Americans, that own nothing besides a car. I don't understand how they get by in life. Think of how many large heavy items a typical middle class person owns - furniture, appliances, etc. I would hate to always have to rely on other people to move that stuff around. And then the fact that you can never go on any sort of road trip or vacation comfortably with more than one person. And no, you can't borrow my pickup.

I'm not trying to tell you how to do things, I'm just explaining why we do it the way we do. If that's what they want to do in Europe, have at it! But don't judge me and my truck!

Originally Posted By: Silk
I used to use an RL Bedford as my shop hack 30 years ago - only a 2 seater and bigger than any American pickup...but no one in a small car died from my macho ride.

So I guess nobody over there has any auto accidents either?
confused2.gif

I never had a problem moving anything with a full size sedan. Only reason I own a truck is because I build houses for a living. Having said that I'm working to hone my business to a point where I can switch back to a car.

I view having a big truck in my business as a crutch for poor planning. Why waste my time to move stuff when I can spend it doing more valuable things and get stuff delivered.

My two hero's in this business are worth many millions and won't even go to Lowes to pick up a box of screws, they make the subs do it. That's my goal. I'm at the point now where the only reason I have an 8ft bed is because some things are bulky or long.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back