European GM/Saturn, Dexcool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering what comes in a European GM, an Opel Astra rebaged as a Saturn. I don't suppose Saturn carries a special coolant for it, just that there may be an improved product over pure GM Dexcool, if that's even what they used in it oem.

my saab 9-3 uses dexcool, though it specced it by BASF and saab part number, not specifically dex.

I think by the time I need to be concerned, there will be a consensus on a Global product. My only concern is if I should dump the Dex early, if that's what's in there.

Good luck me finding what exactly is used in Europe. Probally a product like PEAK Global is better anyway.

Manual says Dexcool....argh! It's already 2 years old, should I change it? Maybe run out warranty (only 36k) and chanage it to somethimng else until the timing belt at 100k.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
just that there may be an improved product over pure GM Dexcool.

Yeah, it's called G-05.

Audi Junkie,

When I used to help friends service their Vauxhalls (re-badged, British-built Opels) in the UK, I used GM Genuine Long Life Red Coolant on every application. Pre-2001 models used blue coolant, and years before that it was traditional green coolant. The red stuff is recommended for up to 5 years/60,000 miles, whilst the blue/green coolant had a service life of 2 years/25,000 miles. The red coolant was also backwards compatible with pre-2001 models.

The blue and green coolants had mono-ethylene glycol (MEG) corrosion inhibitors, the red coolant comprises of Organic Additive Technology (OAT).

I don't know what the equalivant would be State Side, but the GM part number for undiluted GM Genuine Long Life Red Coolant is/was 93165162 (unless it has been superseded). Hope this helps somewhat.

That's good info, thanks. I'm wondering if I should do the rad service early, maybe at 36k, the warranty end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back