Esso's XD-3 0w40 synthetic (best deal in Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys. This heavy duty 0w40 full PAO
synthetic has got to be the best deal
around. Only $4.06 cdn/litre. Here I
thought that Petro Canada Duron was
great at over $5:00/litre,which is
GRP III synthetic. The oil used to be
a semi-synthetic but was changed over
to a full PAO synthetic this spring.
I found this Esso outlet and stopped
in to inquire about Mobil 1 0w40.
It can be ordered for over $8.00/lire.
Then I found about Esso's XD-3 for
a little over $4.00.
gr_eek2.gif

I called Esso's Technical Services
to verify it. I plan to use it in
my BMW this fall before storage and
change it next year. Any thoughts?

Mobil 1 0w40 can be had at the Noco outlet in Etobicoke for $7.25 XD-3 0w40 is just a bit over $4/L there. Here is my UOA of this oil in the 2004 6.0 PSD analysis
Except for the viscosity drop, the oil did well.. but this engine shears even the Delvac 1 so stil not sure how it will perform in a "normal" engine.

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:
..but this engine shears even the Delvac 1 so stil not sure how it will perform in a "normal" engine.

With that in mind, I can't wait to see your Delvac 1300 UOA!

2KBMW, I know a local rancher here who uses X-D3 0-40 in five diesels this year, he likes it so far. Here the only oil in comparison to your $4.00 price on X-D3 0-40 is Co-op DMO at $4.10, it is full syn in 0-40. If I have choice between Co-op and Esso oil for same price, I will go with Esso, no brainer.

I thought about Duron syn this winter for my Cummins, I am now using 15-40 conv Duron ($3.00 litre) so I was going to stick to the same brand in synthetic. Esso is a reputable company, I think I might give it a try this winter. Had I known I could have used Esso diesel oil this past winter for $4.00 litre I would have used it rather than the DMO.

Cyprs

Quick_lude & Cyprs. I don't put many miles
on my BMW. The oil was changed this past May
using a mixture of 10w30/15w50 Mobil 1. By
fall I'll probably put 6 to 7000 km on oil.
I would rather change it to this low cost
heavy duty 100% PAO with all the extra
additives than leave the old oil in. I'll
run it a few weeks then store the car.

I agree, it's a very good oil for the price and I would like to see more analysis from different engines.

I'm also waiting too see the new CI4+ oils come out which supposedly have more shear strength, got knows my 6.0 PSD needs it.
frown.gif

Can you give me some directions to NOCO??

I live at Hwy7 and Dufferin, and have been in T.O. for 3 years now but am unfamilliar to the city, well, I sleep there because I work in Oshawa, Bramalea, Cambridge or Allsiton... so I know the hiways only.

quote:

Originally posted by Hajoca:
Can you give me some directions to NOCO??

I live at Hwy7 and Dufferin, and have been in T.O. for 3 years now but am unfamilliar to the city, well, I sleep there because I work in Oshawa, Bramalea, Cambridge or Allsiton... so I know the hiways only.

It's in the QEW/Kipling area, close to Ikea. Unfortunately public pickups close at 3pm I think. They carry Esso and Mobil products.

http://www.noco.com/canada/

I checked with my Esso bulk dealer here in town and the XD-3 is $4.15/liter. I'm gonna give it a run in one of my taxi's and see how it does. They also stock Mobil 1 SS for $5.73/liter.

The guy working there wasn't too sure about the formulation change, he still thought it was a synth blend. But a couple calls later confirmed that it was now a full PAO synth. We checked back in the warehouse and it was a mixed bag of old and new stock, so be careful when buying it. The labels are almost the same.

Can anyone see anything wrong with running this oil in gas engines spec'd for 5w30?

[ July 25, 2004, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: olympic ]

quote:

Originally posted by olympic:

Can anyone see anything wrong with running this oil in gas engines spec'd for 5w30?

I found specs on the "Esso XD-3 Extra". According to that spec sheet, the oil is available in various grades including 0W40, 0W30, 5W30, 10W30, and 15W40 along with others. On the last page it says they are all rated SL except for the 5W30 which is only SH.

Since my vehicles also call for a 5W30, I'm thinking of trying out the 0W30 instead of M1 or GC in a few months (assuming they have the 0W30 grade at the Toronto NOCO dealer). Does anyone know if all the grades are stocked at NOCO?

Also how can you tell if the oil is the newer formulation made with PAO?

John_ertw. As I understood it, the
0w30 and 0w40 used to be semi-synthetic.
The product data sheet is dated March 2004,
so I'm assuming these two grades were changed
over to full synthetic then. Just make sure
the bottle says synthetic and not semi-syn.
If the 0w30 has the same label as the 0w40
I bought, it will be bronze in color.
The label states: SYNTHETIC ALL-SEASON
(in the upper right corner). The center of
the bottle has: XD-3 EXTRA 0w40
PREMIUM HEAVY-DUTY SYNTHETIC ENGINE OIL

quote:

I found specs on the "Esso XD-3 Extra". According to that spec sheet, the oil is available in various grades including 0W40, 0W30, 5W30, 10W30, and 15W40 along with others. On the last page it says they are all rated SL except for the 5W30 which is only SH.

According to the fifth paragraph in the spec sheet, only the 0w30 and 0w40 grades are PAO based. And I was told that the 0w30 is discontinued.

quote:

Originally posted by olympic:
And I was told that the 0w30 is discontinued.

How long ago did you hear this? I emailed the Toronto Noco dealer asking if they have 0w30 in stock and assume I will get a reply tomorrow. I'm interested in running the 0w30 in my gas engines this winter. If they stopped making it I will probably look elsewhere.

quote:

Originally posted by john_ertw:
How long ago did you hear this? I emailed the Toronto Noco dealer asking if they have 0w30 in stock and assume I will get a reply tomorrow.

You could just call the numbers that are in the link I posted.. and get your answer right away.

I called the Noco dealer in Toronto yesterday and inquired about the 0W30 grade. The lady I spoke to said they don't have it in stock but could get some within about 1 week (a case of 12 X 1L bottles). The only problem is they are only open until 3pm so I don't think it will be possible for me to pick it up. For now I guess I'll have to pass on this oil.

My bulk Esso agent told me that 0-40 XD-3 is the only Esso full synthetic for HD diesel use up to 40 grade, the 15-40 is conventional with same additive package. The bulk price was $4.40 litre (sounds high compared to prices mentioned above) in case lots of twelve full syn XD-3.

He told me their Esso bulk diesel fleet uses the 15-40 Esso Extra conventional in summer and the full syn XD-3 in winter. The 15-40 is about 2.50 litre bulk. I have talked to ranchers and farmers in area here, John Deere 15-40 is Esso Extra according to them, most buy either one for their Deere pending on price.

I asked about the 5-30 XD-3 for my 03 Altima, Esso told me it would be fine, but I will opt to the 5-30 Esso Super Flo full synthetic for a buck a litre more (also a bronze/gold container) for the car.

Cyprs

John!

I just passed by a truck parts store... Filter Renu, on Keel, north of HWY#7

I saw a poster, that shows Mobil motor oil and a black jug that looks like Esso XD3.

I think that is closer than the NOCO place, and it closes at 5pm.

quote:

Originally posted by berge:
got a phone # for this place?

I actually stoped by this place today on my way home from work. It's actually called Heavy Duty Parts Inc., but their sign says Filter Renu. The address is 7855 Keele St (on the east side). Their number is 905-761-6545.

They are a truck parts store and don't have much in terms of passenger car grades. Right now they only have 15W40 in stock for the Esso XD-3. I asked about the 0W30 and the manager told me he didn't have it but could get it in about half a week. He said that he's actually ordering some 0W40 for someone and mentioned that others have asked as well so he's thinking of stocking these grades. The bad news is that he said it will probably cost around $10/litre (he didn't know for sure and told me to call him next week to find out).

John

I stopped in there today (like I said, I saw the poster yesterday).

Parts manager will be calling .... or get called by me next week. I am assuming (what engineers do alot of) that the price will be about the same as the NOCO outlet. 0W30 may be more expensive..

offtopic.gif
.I used to run 0W30 from Canadian Tire which was made by Esso, semi synthetic then in my cavalier, after I used the walmart 0W30 synthetic as i was having engine turn over trouble in the winter. It wasn't until spring of 2003 that I found the culprit! Corroded battery to starter lead connection!!! No sense in having
crushedcar.gif
or buying expensive oil after that was fixed. the 4.96/gal walmart 10W30 is just fine for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back